Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,819   Online: 1107

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    9. Lomography. Some scoff at its lauding of low-tech photos, but it has given many people who dislike the look of digital, especially younger would-be photographers, a foot in the door of more serious photography. Sure the cameras may be a rip-off sometimes, but they're a less intimidating gateway drug to bigger and better things. As these dabblers mature, the increased competition for the film camera market is offset by a greater demand for film, which is helping to keep Kodak, Ilford and Fuji alive and developing new products for film-oriented professionals and enthusiasts alike.
    +1, more so for the philosophy than the brand. Anything that encourages people to get out there and put images onto film instead of navel gazing, pixel peeping or getting hung up on technicalities.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another +1 for lomography for realizing that image fidelity is not the Holy Grail and that an IQ arm's race between digital and analog was won by digital before most film shooters knew what hit them. Lomography takes the medium for what it is, happy accidents, flaws, and all. Sterile perfection and endless pixel editing is for digital. Also, lomography inserts quirky silliness into what can often be a technically overbearing pastime. They have some goofy, fun cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My girlfriend. We have been together ten years and have not had a fight. When I want to by photographic or offroading equipment she says, "In the past you worked to buy things for others. Now is your time. If you want it and will enjoy then you should go ahead and buy it."

One really happy camper here!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    My girlfriend. We have been together ten years and have not had a fight. When I want to by photographic or offroading equipment she says, "In the past you worked to buy things for others. Now is your time. If you want it and will enjoy then you should go ahead and buy it."

One really happy camper here!
    Just be sure not to refer to her as your "Best recent thing" - at least not where she can hear you
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin