Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,945   Online: 790

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    In my (non-photographic) professional work, I've sometimes had clients ask to see me at my home rather than at my office (they are some miles apart and it could be more convenient for them).
    I just say something along the lines that I don't have my files or computer/office facilities at home, or simply that it's "not very professional" to see them outside my own or their offices. It's never caused a problem.
    (And there is the question of insurance when working at home, or outside one's own office...loss, damage, public liability, etc.. All of these would, of course, be genuinely more significant when using photo lights, tripods and other gear, rather than, as I do, just a laptop and a few papers.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Tell him the truth - that the environment isn't conducive to doing good work and that your preference is not to be working around the illegal activities.
    I would not mention any "illegal activity" whether it is a concern for you or not. Words like "illegal," "law" or "police" can be triggers for an argument.

The truth is that you don't give a rat's ass what a grown person does within the confines of his own home but that doesn't mean you are obliged to participate.

What would you do if you sat down to eat dinner with somebody and they tried to serve you raw monkey brains? You would politely say, "Thank you but no thank you." If you felt like puking at the site of a monkey skull being split open, you would, hopefully, wait until you got outside.

Okay, okay... Silly example. I know but the same principle applies.

Just politely decline to participate in activities that make you uncomfortable.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'd raise my price A WHOLE LOT. If he goes for it, think of it as combat pay...and laugh all the way to the bank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tell him it violates the term of your parole... :-)

Seriously, tell him it's not a conducive environment to produce the quality of work he expects from you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    That you don't want to work with them under certain circumstances?

I have been doing some product photography work with a client for almost a year now, to our mutual benefit. However, I don't have a studio and I usually go to his office. For our last shoot, however, we went to his house. It seems to be a permanent party, which I have no real problem with in and of itself (even though I was trying to work). BUT, there were a variety of illegal things going on that I want no part of.

How would others here handle this?
    get a studio. there are reasons for this that you are only just starting to discover!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Adopted a police dog? If you're going to lie, make it believable. Better yet, don't lie. Doesn't mean you have to tell the whole truth. Randy's advice is on target.
    it was a joke ...

you certainly can tell the truth, say you don't want to work out of HIS home
    because you can't do your work in that environment ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-05-2011 at 08:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, By the way! What are the illegal activities? illegal downloading? robbing fruit to the neighbor? or any of these:http://www.dumblaws.com/

If itīs these things loose the client, thatīs life

if itīs just smoking a porro, you are alllllright!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies. It was a party partly in that there were a lot of people in and out, not to mention several large dogs who kept wandering into my set. Yes, a studio - and a darkroom - are very much things I need now. As to what the illegal activities are, it's nothing mundane - certainly not illegal mp3 files or stolen apricots, not even a certain herb.

Like Vito Corleone said, "It makes no difference to me what another man does for a living. It's just that your business is a little dangerous." What another person does in his or her home really isn't my concern. Let's just say I DON'T want to be there if the police DO show up. So I will politely request that all future shoots take place at his office, as we've done in the past.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Doing business at a known place of criminal, organized activity, and returning, could be seen (I strongly emphasize "could") as complicity, even facilitation. His cash to you on that site could potentially be a form of money laundering. I would advise not to return. I am speaking from some experience here having had to deal with the fallout from grow-ops in Vancouver relating to real estate and utility transactions, watching willfully ignorant tradespeople given the nth degree.

The local cop is not always going to listen to you or read your contract if your name comes up as having been to that site. He's going to follow the money and the personnel at that site.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time to get a studio, if you are photographing anything small enough to move it should be done in a studio.

As for the why, I would just say it was that it is a lot easier to work in a studio that is already setup for you to just insert a product than it is for you to setup at another site. If we are talking small low value items, offer to pick them up at his office and drop them off with the proofs.

Mention that you like quiet. Also it is probably easier to transport several products than it is to move a studio.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin