Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,362   Online: 771

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Good luck , I admire you for going for this, I wish that I had more formal training in photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How very interesting. What a fascinating man to study. Bonne chance!
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good luck. A sympathetic and supportive supervisor+dept. helps--just make sure to keep them that way!

Have a look at the new Errol Morris book sometime if you haven't yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/bo...html?ref=books

Shooter
    Multi Format
    congrats - concordia is my alma mater... I hope it's as good a school as it used to be. Who's your supervisor (if you don't mind the inquiry)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's really awesome! And...a lot of work. Congrats on getting accepted, and here's to hoping things go well for you in the studies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is quite a lot to bite off and chew. I admire that.

The only PhD in photography that I have known was a curator for a major museum. It is quite something to achieve. My Belgian professor of French in college responded to the question of "why are you getting a PhD in French?" with "because they can never take that away from me." Learned a lot from that.

Good luck. And thanks for introducing John Max to me. Never heard of him before. I hope you keep us apprised of your progress. I would love to read your thesis when you are through.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wish you the best Michel.
    Have made a quick search and you have a good subject of study. Keep us posted on your discoveries.
    I've found this little into to the film John Max, A portrait here for those interested.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Congratulations Michel and best wishes.

You may be interested to hear that they graduate about 25 PhDs in photography ranging from art to history to engineering from Japanese universities. Chiba is one of the main schools there to do so. In fact, there is also a sub Ministerial level in their government on photography. One of their "investigators" was Prof. Dr. Souichi Kubo who visited the US for one year to study photographic education in the US. His conclusion was that our best MS program was not up to even their BS program in overall studies. IDK if he studied education in Canada. This was in the 80s.

PE
    I have never seen degrees in photographic science in Canadian universities. Most people probably cross the border from an eng. or chem. degree into an american university.

My own discipline being art history, the courses are administered by the faculty of Fine Arts.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking to find ways to get to Rochester to visit the George Eastman House, and make a little Kodak pilgrimage!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    congrats - concordia is my alma mater... I hope it's as good a school as it used to be. Who's your supervisor (if you don't mind the inquiry)?
    Martha Langford: http://art-history.concordia.ca/peop...a_langford.php
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michel;

You had better visit EK soon or it will be an art history project the way things seem to be going.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin