Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,697   Online: 756

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    But then you need to consider the model paid for clothes, hair cut, time it took to grow and trim the beard, health club membership, etc.
    Make an agreement ahead of time were you both get what you need, may not be what you want but make sure it's has both pod your perspectives in mind.

Get it in writing along with the release.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
    But then you need to consider the model paid for clothes, hair cut, time it took to grow and trim the beard, health club membership, etc.
    Yes, I agree. This is part of the reason I usually offer the person a "free" print of the photograph in question. It might be just a piece of paper but it is a fairly valuable piece of paper, none the less.

I also do it just for the social value of being a photographer. People don't know that you are a good photographer unless they can see the photos you make. Besides, I don't want to be that "creepy guy" with a camera.

Sharing the occasional picture covers a lot of ground.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I really don't see you selling many/any of these prints...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seems to be a battle of egos, nothing more. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I really don't see you selling many/any of these prints...
    Maybe, maybe not. Some of the photos are nice but I'm not the final judge. Saleability is in the eye of the beholder... and it has a lot to do with what you can convince other people to fork over the cash for. However, they are at least as good as some photos I have seen in galleries in this town.
    (Unfortunately, in Erie, the pool of photographers is wide but not very deep... if you get my meaning. )

There's certainly a possibility of offering some of those photos as stock images but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Seems to be a battle of egos, nothing more. Not sure what the fuss is about.
    Isn't it what everything is all about, these days? Unfortunately, that's what the world seems to have sunk to.
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 09-12-2011 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many of us amateurs have the photo skills and results suitable for professional uses of our photos. That's pretty common. We don't take the time to actually make a viable business out of it; that's a lot more work, and it's not for everybody. Take it as a complement that the subject thinks it's a salable photo. There's plenty of people willing to casually pose for a photo in exchange for a print, and he should be happy with that.

otoh, if he's a crackerjack businessman with connections and you both want to be in the photo business whole hog, anything is possible.

A famous person might also PAY or at least not charge to have their photo taken, IF it promotes their new music tour, album, movie, etc.. when they are seeking publicity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the great response everyone. I'll try and address your points. (Pardon the long post)

Bruicemuir: 10-15% seems reasonable enough. I especially liked that you said 'sometimes'

Mark Barendt: Comes down to negotiation skills But yes, the method does have it's benefits.

Thomas Bertilsson: Point taken. Barter is a nice idea for beginners like me... In any case, I'll keep some release forms handy from now.

Brian L: Since he's a friend of mine and I'm only publishing on my flickr/facebook profiles, I've taken a release over sms (or maybe email). If I do publish it where the general public will see it, I'll get a proper release signed. As of now, a bunch of his and my friends have liked the pic (low standards maybe?) so we're both happy.
    Will check out the legal/financial implications when things do get serious.

Randy S: No idea about flat/hourly rates, I just shoot as a hobbyist. But thank you very much for the detailed costing that you've given. I'll point my friend to this post and see what happens

B2: I get the point you're making. However this was a spur of the moment shot during a dinner where a bunch of us met, and the model hadn't done any preparation for it, except for posing like I asked. But yes, special efforts, if any, need to be compensated for...

VPWPhoto: As of now, I don't either. As mentioned earlier, if/when I do get to a level where people would be willing to pay, it'd be nice to have some idea of how to deal with the situation. As of now, I'm a hobbyist happily shooting film and getting a few 'likes' on facebook.

CGW: Close enough, except this is more like cubs fighting each other to get ready for future hunting events.

Randy S: Thanks again. Nice to know not all of my pictures are destined for the bin

JP: Lawyers, accounts etc. add up to the cost of an image and then at times, there're weird policies that employers come up with, like no freelancing. That effectively discourages much of the commercial possibilities.

Cheers,
    Som

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I meant as I took it non-editorial sales. I don't see people buying a photo of a guy they do not know to hang on the wall, I have enough trouble with people buying photos of their kids to hang on the wall, or put on the desk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Som,

A quick thought on this response since it looks like you have your eye toward making money with photography someday.

Quote Originally Posted by KanFotog View Post
    JP: Lawyers, accounts etc. add up to the cost of an image and then at times, there're weird policies that employers come up with, like no freelancing. That effectively discourages much of the commercial possibilities.
    In the beginning of any business venture, 80% to 90% or more of your time, energy and thought in will be spent in marketing, bookkeeping, compliance, and the rest of the general grunt work needed to make it work.

In business you get to spend more time, on say photography in this case, only when you are willing and able to pay others to do the rest of the grunt work.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    VPWPhoto: Yes, I don't know anyone who buys random people's pictures to hang somewhere either. The subject of that photo suggested selling to general public and my mind started thinking of possible consequences.

Mark Barendt: Agreed. It makes sound business sense to ensure firm footing on legal/financial basis and naturally that would involve spending/investing money and time.

Having said that, if I (even accidentally) shoot a landscape which happens to impress people, would it be easier to sell it when compared to a picture involving people or private property?

Maybe I'm wrong but the lack of model release and private property permission requirements seem to make landscapes more attractive for commercial purposes.

And as VPWPhoto said, most people would avoid hanging a stranger's photo on their wall but a river or mountain wouldn't attract the same kind of doubts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin