Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,065   Online: 896

View Poll Results: Is it alright to adjust contrast and brightness on a scanned slide or neg?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you do that all the time in the darkroom

38 80.85%
  • No, print first and then scan...

9 19.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As a neg scan and print scan are both distortions that require some correction, a screen that emits light just looks different from a print that reflects light, and much has to do with the equipment one has at hand, I don't really worry about this. I usually scan the neg/transparency and try to approximate the print in Photoshop for the web, and I usually get a closer approximation of the print this way than I do by scanning the print.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe it's often necessary to make contrast and brightness adjustments, however my preference is to scan prints.

Sadly my photoshop skillz are better than my darkroom skills. Scanning the print makes sure I only show what I'm capable of printing.. not just what I'm capable of dreaming about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must say I was quite surprised by the poll results and the fact that the majority have no problem with scanning the film instead of the print!!! I thought it would be in the other direction, or at least 50:50.

I voted yes for the same reasons that others did - scanning usually requires some levels adjustments to resemble the original. As for producing something from a scanned neg that you aren't able to produce in the darkroom, there's nothing stopping someone from making a normal print, scanning it and manipulating it past the point of their darkroom ability. For anyone who has taken the time to play with levels adjustments and dodge/burn in PS it's quite amazing at how powerful a tool it can be. Of course you still need good starting materials regardless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since my scanner and old computer are in a stand off of complete non-communication, this is almost a moot point. If I can ever get those two insulant objects to cooperate again, I would scan the print and try to adjust to represent the original print as faithfully as I can.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learned a handy technique from Per Volquartz. He doesn't do digital, but he does use computers and photoshop to help him in the darkroom. What he does is scan the negative. then he practices what the different burn in's or dogings. this way he can see what the finished picture would look like if he selectively did his darkroom work. That is as much as he uses photoshop for printing, as a previsiualization tool. He doesn't print his results on a printer. He then goes in the darkroom and knows in advance the areas that would most benefit.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin