Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,349   Online: 1092

View Poll Results: Is it alright to adjust contrast and brightness on a scanned slide or neg?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you do that all the time in the darkroom

38 80.85%
  • No, print first and then scan...

9 19.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Your opinion wanted!

Hi

Just a little question for your opinion.

Is it alright to digitally adjusting the contrast and brightness on a scanned slide or neg?

Morten

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think that it is OK to make adjustments so that the scan matches the print.

Often times when I scan a print it does not match, so in my opinion it is OK to make adjustments so that it does match.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Of course, the act of scanning flattens an image (contrast and brightness wise).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contrast and brightness are mutually exclusive. if dealing with colour in the darkroom you have very little control over contrast, density/brightness is completely controllable.

I seldom make prints smaller than 16" sq so I can't scan the print.

IMHO
    It is fair to do what can be done digitally as long as it is in faith with the original and any deviation beyond is acknowledged.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    IMHO
    It is fair to do what can be done digitally as long as it is in faith with the original and any deviation beyond is acknowledged.
    My thoughts exactly. Scanning really destroys an image, you need a tool like PS to make it look like it does in the original transparency.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been meaning to write an article on this topic for a while, but here is the jist.

When you scan, most likely the scanning software is going to take a stab at adjusting the contrast, etc.. anyways for you unless you specifically say no. I don't see anything wrong with "scanning flat" and adjusting to taste with a human input vs. letting the computer do it automatically for you. I think many people miss the fact that their images re being "manipulated" automatically when they scan them, even if they don't have a say in it. I think the traditional photographer more then anyone appreciates the importance of having control at as many steps as possible.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree scanning doesn't truly reflect the print or negative, so adjusting the scanned image to reflect the true look is acceptable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your answers. Now I do not feel bad about adjusting before posting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmm..yes...but one nagging doubt remains...how can we be sure your negs were really developed in Rodinal?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Mmm..yes...but one nagging doubt remains...how can we be sure your negs were really developed in Rodinal?
    Hans other than coffee is there anything else that negs can be souped in other than Rodinal? Surely not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin