Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,933   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Furthermore, photographing the same building over and over again, on your way to and from work would make a great study.

Don't you think?

In other words, go take that picture of the building with the graffiti on the wall! Now! Before somebody paints over it!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe you're right actually. I might as well make the shot and see what happens in the darkroom. I can always kill it if I don't like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Furthermore, photographing the same building over and over again, on your way to and from work would make a great study.

Don't you think?
    True enough. I've always wanted to do one of those "photograph the same place over time" things. I don't think this particular spot was the right place for such a project, but you might be on to something.

Interesting discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got, maybe fifty pictures of the Presque Isle lighthouse stashed away in my notebooks. I never really thought much of them because they were clichés. I only took them because it's a familiar subject to test cameras and films and new ideas with. We talked about this a couple weeks ago in some thread about clichés.

Well, I was showing somebody some of my pictures and she made a comment to the effect that she liked the difference between the picture of the lighthouse taken in the winter and the one taken in the summer. I've always had it in the back of my mind to officially make a photographic study of that lighthouse.

Something like going there and taking a picture from the same spot on the first day of every month for a whole year.

It's still just an idea but I still kick it around in my head, every so often.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is graffiti and "street art". I wouldn't completely dismiss all. It can sometimes become an interesting element of a composition or a good subject on its own. Some macro portions of paint on a wall or even some of the messages can work. Some twenty years ago I happened on to an interesting painting on a boarded up window. While going about my regular activities I happened on to another one obviously by the same person. This lead to a year long 2000 mile drive around Miami looking for interesting wall paintings. To make a long story short: I ended up with a portfolio of over 100 images with 20 having been done by the same "artist" who I was able to track down. He would let me know where he would do one and we ended up having a gallery exhibition with my photographs and his paintings on wood. I was able to introduce him to someone who offered him a scholarship to study art at a university but he disappeared. At a subsequent show years later a couple that purchased one of my prints became interested in photographs from that series bought five.

I don't condone defacing ones property but you never know what might inspire a new direction in your photography.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another voice for the "do it now" chorus. It'll take you mere minutes to make a shot, even if it's not ideal subject matter and only marginally interesting now, but you'll have the regret much longer if you never get the shot you want.

Last year, a historic church was going to be demolished to make way for one of those big chain pharmacies you see on every corner. I happened to be on the adjacent corner one afternoon with a good camera but crappy film (Lucky 200 color, 35mm) and looked up. The church was being torn down but the front facade was still up, and the setting sun was streaming through the gaping holes where the windows had been. I took a few shots, none of them really what I wanted, and I vowed to come back the very next day better equipped.

The next day, it had been razed to the ground.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes street art is a massive art movement (although not new) and the works of Banksy, Shepard Fairey et al are commanding lots of attention these days.

Who knows, that tagged bldg could be buffed (term for removing graffiti) in the morning and it could be some massive artist who hit the bldg and your record of it could be the only evidence??

I don't condone vandalism in any way but as a photographer should something appear that is on public property I will gladly photograph it

Check out Banksy for a taste of the modern street art movement
    http://www.banksy.co.uk/newoutdoors/outdoors.html

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    you've just made another excuse not to photograph the place.
    it's just another thing that's not quite right....follow your own advice and go photograph the site! Do it now!
    +3

And just what makes their art form any less valid than yours? You might even be able to use it to enhance your photo.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    Another voice for the "do it now" chorus. It'll take you mere minutes to make a shot, even if it's not ideal subject matter and only marginally interesting now, but you'll have the regret much longer if you never get the shot you want.

Last year, a historic church was going to be demolished to make way for one of those big chain pharmacies you see on every corner. I happened to be on the adjacent corner one afternoon with a good camera but crappy film (Lucky 200 color, 35mm) and looked up. The church was being torn down but the front facade was still up, and the setting sun was streaming through the gaping holes where the windows had been. I took a few shots, none of them really what I wanted, and I vowed to come back the very next day better equipped.

The next day, it had been razed to the ground.
    I had something similar happen to me last year. A strange abandoned building I often drove by. It was next to a car dealership and the flood lights from the car dealership cast light on this building in such a way it looked downright ghostly. Difficult subject. Studied it for months. Finally made the photographs on a perfect night but didn't have the ideal film handy. I was pleased but thought I'd return with a different film. The next day the entire building was demolished to make way for the car delaership to expand. The prints take on additional meaning for me now. The building looked ghostly to begin with, but the fact it disappeared from existance literally overnight makes it even more of a ghost. Did it ever even exist? Glad I made the picture even though I would have preferred to do it on a finer grained film. They are some of my favourite images and prints.

You'd think this would have taught me a lesson!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ghost building 1-Montreal.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    +3

And just what makes their art form any less valid than yours? You might even be able to use it to enhance your photo.

Hang on here people. I said the building was tagged. That's not banksy or art of any kind. It's just when the punks scribble their name or initials or whatever symbol they use to identify themselves to fellow parasites. This is not graffiti art.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin