Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,660   Online: 795

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    If you see something local you want to photograph, do it - now. Even if the conditions are not 100% perfect, do it. You can always return and try again, but at least you'll have something, which might end up being the right shot anyway.
    +1

Not only might it change, but you might move away. I'm going over some photos from California and I'm thankful for every one I made, even the grab shots.

It's the corollary to the aphorism "The best camera you have is the one with you." You can't make the photo unless you go, with a camera, or have a camera with you. But you still have to use it. Retinal photos get dimmer as time goes by and have an audience of only one.

"F/8 and be there."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding pictures that you take but never think much of, for one reason or another...
    I have dozens of pictures that I took while I was in high school or college that I never really liked. I just filed them away in notebooks and forgot about them.

After more than 20 years, it turns out that some of those shots that I thought were so-so turned out to be pretty good. Some of those shots that I liked, back then, look pretty crappy when I look at them again after all this time.

Taken in a Boston subway station, c. 1985:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/5877829992
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/5877830270

I thought these sucked. They were dark and blurry. I only looked at the contacts after I took them, way back when, and never gave them a second thought. I got out my negatives, one day and was looking through them. I came to this page and thought, "Hey, what are these?"
    Now, they are some of my faves.

Taken on the fire escape. Boston, c. 1990:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/5877269897
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/5877831818

I used to sit out on the fire escape of my apartment and smoke. (Sometimes, I would even smoke cigarettes. )
    These pictures are of my neighbor who also used to come outside and smoke.
    Again, I developed them but hardly gave them a second look.

If I hadn't taken these photos when I had the chance, they would not be around, now, more than 25 years later.

When I was young, my father told me never to pass up a picture. Film is cheap, compared to the "the one that got away." You'll never get your picture onto the cover of Time Magazine if you don't click that shutter button!

This is the picture that he showed me as an example:
    Signal Hill, Long Beach, CA. May, 1958.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/5877273275/

My father used to work at an oil refinery, back before I was born.
    One day, the refinery blew up. He was there with his camera. This is one of the pictures he took on that day.
    He told me that he just turned around, saw this wheel and snapped a picture of it. It ended up being one of his favorites and a prize winner.
    This is the reason why he called it "Wheel of Fortune."

Never pass up that picture! You might never have the chance again!

He used to work in
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holy cow! Driving past the location this morning I saw the city crews had come and obliterrated the graffiti! Now I have to get my ass in gear and take the damn picture before the thugs return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to agree, sooner is way better than later. In a couple of demolitions around here, the time span from barely begun to gone has been less than 48 hours. There was an old farmhouse in the township that was burned by the fire department for practice years back too! I have an old industrial building on my do-list right now that appears to be on its way down, but is being nibbled at very slowly (it's a huge space, like a quarter mile in length), so I hope I have a few more days, as the weather has been a bit sucky this week. I do have some pictures, but I'm hoping to do better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Holy cow! Driving past the location this morning I saw the city crews had come and obliterrated the graffiti! Now I have to get my ass in gear and take the damn picture before the thugs return.
    Dang you missed the graffitti shot.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I talked to my dad by the way... He said the kids who did the graffiti were indeed the ones he got to paint them back over. He said sometimes the kids would come in to ask for the paint to paint over graffiti they did the night before, apparently they didn't want to do it in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The place is tagged, therefore it is totally ruined, no photograph, and gone forever? That is an extremely melodramatic take on the situation. You should go into show business!

Or...just go take the frigging picture! If you really must, go clean the spray paint off yourself first. I do it all the time in the canyons around here before taking pix.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's an old house that I noticed on a road I travel twice a day, two days a week. I keep/kept meaning to shoot it, but it faces north and never gets light, so I was trying to get the "right" light. Well, two weeks ago, it burned. Not to the ground - the shell is still there. I need to get my butt in gear and shoot what's left, no matter what the light is.
    I've posted on apug before about the tree's shadow on a house that I wanted to shoot (and drove by it for a year or more), but stopped to get gas across the street first. As I was pumping, I heard a chainsaw start up and the tree was down before the tank was full. The house went the next day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin