Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,677   Online: 763

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Take the picture!!

If you see something local you want to photograph, do it - now. Even if the conditions are not 100% perfect, do it. You can always return and try again, but at least you'll have something, which might end up being the right shot anyway. I keep getting taught this lesson the hard way, but I never completely learn it.

I've been stalking an industrial location for months. I drive past it every day on my way to work. There was always something not quite right. Wrong sky, too much wind, etc, etc. Today seemed like it would finally be the right day. Unfortunately as luck would have it, idiots chose last night to tag the place. Now it's totally ruined. No photograph. Gone forever.

I'd also like to add people caught doing that, or found to have done that, should be forced to clean it with a toothbrush, then be stripped naked, covered in spray paint and marched throughout the city for people to throw things at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amen
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    idiots chose last night to tag the place.
    you've just made another excuse not to photograph the place.
    it's just another thing that's not quite right....follow your own advice and go photograph the site! Do it now!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd also like to add people caught doing that, or found to have done that, should be forced to clean it ...
    My dad used to do that. He was the high school art teacher, knew the kids that did the tagging and made them paint over it. Surprising thing is they did what he said.

---next time I talk with him I'll verify my facts, it could have been the "good" kids that did the paint-over---
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 09-13-2011 at 11:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: qualification

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    it's just another thing that's not quite right....follow your own advice and go photograph the site! Do it now!
    +1!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yeah next you know the bldg will be demo'ed, grab a photo of it before all is gone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    +2
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Great advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well no, the graffiti is not a technical "detail" that can be worked around the way I should have with the lighting, clouds, wind etc. Graffiti is a compositional show stopper for me. I'm interested in the structures and space, and getting people to notice spaces they normally wouldn't. Having graffiti in there immediately becomes the focus, a powerful distraction. Or even worse, it can come off looking like some kind of environmental statement. That's not what my photographs are about. So in this case, I'll just have to move on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well no, the graffiti is not a technical "detail" that can be worked around the way I should have with the lighting, clouds, wind etc. Graffiti is a compositional show stopper for me. I'm interested in the structures and space, and getting people to notice spaces they normally wouldn't. Having graffiti in there immediately becomes the focus, a powerful distraction. Or even worse, it can come off looking like some kind of environmental statement. That's not what my photographs are about. So in this case, I'll just have to move on.
    It is great that you know what you want but you are still making the same basic excuse.

We never know whether or not a shot is really going to work when we take it. Take the shot, file it away, come back to it in a year and see what you think.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin