Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,774   Online: 1005

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Oh yeah, baby, you found it. Here's my definition. I don't consider myself to meet this definition, but there are people in the karate club where I train who think I do. There aren't too many 55 year olds who can live up to this.

badass
    The badass is an uncommon man of supreme style. He does what he wants, when he wants, where he wants. You won't find him on facebook, myspace, msn et cetera because he is probably out being cool somewhere. He might be on a motorcycle, but it's probably not a Harley or a crotch rocket because he won't spend that much money to be accepted. Traditionally, he will smoke, but it's not necessary at all. He feels no obligation whatsoever to justify his beliefs, values, convictions, morals et cetera with anyone. He likes his music because it sounds cool to him. You won't find him if you look for him because there is no sure way to identify him. One does not think that he is badass; he KNOWS it and that's that. Alternatively, a badass is the complete opposite of a douchebag.

Likely to be found in a popular pub taking your money on the pool table then buying you a beer with it, you won't identify him by his clothing because there is no badass uniform. He's probably not sporting the latest fad, he's not wearing $200 jeans, and he doesn't have frosted hair. He's always up for a challenge, he'll probably succeed and he seems to be good at everything. But at the same time, the badass attitude is like: "ok well I don't give a shit".
    Sounds like the Marlboro Man before emphysema caught up with him.

Or a libertarian's self delusion.

Or a bad John Wayne movie.

Or Walter Mitty.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Sounds like the Marlboro Man before emphysema caught up with him.

Or a libertarian's self image.

Or a bad John Wayne movie.
    There are bad John Wayne movies??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Oh yeah, baby, you found it. Here's my definition. I don't consider myself to meet this definition, but there are people in the karate club where I train who think I do. There aren't too many 55 year olds who can live up to this.

badass
    The badass is an uncommon man of supreme style. He does what he wants, when he wants, where he wants. You won't find him on facebook, myspace, msn et cetera because he is probably out being cool somewhere. He might be on a motorcycle, but it's probably not a Harley or a crotch rocket because he won't spend that much money to be accepted. Traditionally, he will smoke, but it's not necessary at all. He feels no obligation whatsoever to justify his beliefs, values, convictions, morals et cetera with anyone. He likes his music because it sounds cool to him. You won't find him if you look for him because there is no sure way to identify him. One does not think that he is badass; he KNOWS it and that's that. Alternatively, a badass is the complete opposite of a douchebag.

Likely to be found in a popular pub taking your money on the pool table then buying you a beer with it, you won't identify him by his clothing because there is no badass uniform. He's probably not sporting the latest fad, he's not wearing $200 jeans, and he doesn't have frosted hair. He's always up for a challenge, he'll probably succeed and he seems to be good at everything. But at the same time, the badass attitude is like: "ok well I don't give a shit".
    Ah. An incarnate beer commercial. thks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Means you have very boring friends.

If by "boring" you mean that they have sufficient command of the English language that they need not resort to indecipherable slang, then yes, I have boring (albeit articulate) friends.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-09-2012 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are bad John Wayne movies??
    Yes. Here's a list.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If by "boring" you mean that they have sufficient command of the English language that they need not resort to indecipherable slang, then yes.
    Nope. I mean boring.

It isn't indecipherable (except to the clueless perhaps) and the fact one uses slang does not mean one is not capable of using far more lofty language at need, or desire. But there indisputably occur occasions on which it is most appropriate to exclaim with ostentatious learnedness and yet others where nothing is quite so succinct as an exclamation of "bad ass!" or something similar.

I really think you had to be pulling our legs. I can't imagine anyone not knowing the meaning of and never having heard the phrase "bad ass" unless you really do hang out with people who need to lower their noses to avoid drowning in a good hard rain.

EDIT: Oh wait - you linked to a list of all John Wayne movies as bad ones. You weren't joking. I am quite sure now that you have absolutely no clue about "bad ass."

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Damn, beat me to it.

I am quite sure now that you have absolutely no clue about "bad ass."
    Reality check.

He was an actor. Playing himself, playing a role.

Actors are not bad ass.

You want to see bad ass, go find a Navy Seal or a Special Forces type. They don't use stunt men.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Reality check.

Actors are not bad ass.

What about Mr. T, who played B. A. (bad ass) Baracus on "The A-Team"?

As he said about anyone who wanted to mess with him, "I pity the fool."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This has been extremely enjoyable !
    Definitely worth the price of admission.

When I first joined APUG, I didn't think it was necessary to pay for this service.
    Within a week it was the only website I was using several times per day.
    And then I realized that it was definitely worth at least $36.00 per year !

" The Needs Of The Many, Outweigh The Needs Of The Few " , Spock

Enjoy The Day !

Ron

P.S. :
    When We Are Dead, We Will Have More Than Enough Time To Be Sesquipedalians.

Let's Enjoy A Wee Bit O'Silliness While We Are Here !

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin