Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 912

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Nope. I mean boring.

It isn't indecipherable (except to the clueless perhaps) and the fact one uses slang does not mean one is not capable of using far more lofty language at need, or desire. But there indisputably occur occasions on which it is most appropriate to exclaim with ostentatious learnedness and yet others where nothing is quite so succinct as an exclamation of "bad ass!" or something similar.

I really think you had to be pulling our legs. I can't imagine anyone not knowing the meaning of and never having heard the phrase "bad ass" unless you really do hang out with people who need to lower their noses to avoid drowning in a good hard rain.

EDIT: Oh wait - you linked to a list of all John Wayne movies as bad ones. You weren't joking. I am quite sure now that you have absolutely no clue about "bad ass."
    You've actually made the point for me. Thank you.
    It appears that "badass" is a term used by those who form their opinion of reality from media stereotypes.

Edit - What is a "clueless perhaps"? Sounds almost like something from "Alice in Wonderland"...
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-09-2012 at 11:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by Benoît99 View Post
    What about Mr. T, who played B. A. (bad ass) Baracus on "The A-Team"?

As he said about anyone who wanted to mess with him, "I pity the fool."
    Anybody that wears 20 pounds of gold plated chains around his neck has no right to call anyone a fool.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Anybody that wears 20 pounds of gold plated chains around his neck has no right to call anyone a fool.
    But unless you're waaay bigger than he is, fool, he can call you whatever he likes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    But unless you're waaay bigger than he is, fool, he can call you whatever he likes.
    You don't need to be bigger. Just smarter and faster.

Shooter
    Multi Format

You want to see bad ass, go find a Navy Seal or a Special Forces type. They don't use stunt men.
    So in this context "bad ass" means something like "formidable". (makes note)

Shooter
    35mm
    He stopped doing that a while back; ostensibly in homage to those in New Orleans 'who lost everything'. Nice sentiment, but it's still dangerous to confuse person with persona.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like the Marlboro Man before emphysema caught up with him.

Or a libertarian's self delusion.

Or a bad John Wayne movie.

Or Walter Mitty.
    It's sure not, you.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    It's sure not, you.
    Got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    So in this context "bad ass" means something like "formidable". (makes note)
    Right. But what kind of teenager, when holding an old camera in his hands is going to say. "This dude, is formidable".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Right. But what kind of teenager, when holding an old camera in his hands is going to say. "This dude, is formidable".
    The same teenager who I saw getting off a bus recently who said "thank you my good man" to the driver.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin