Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,551   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Note that I am not responsible for any damage to your camera...

Brian - Weird thing was that the camera flash when it had NO film in it, but not when it had film in it!

So, not the contacts....

As to safe sync'ing....yeah it probably is a good idea. Then again I stay the hell away from those flashes they have. The UofA studio setup is a joke beyond belief. The equipment pre-dates the program itself! Nasty stuff.

Me, I'll use my nice and safe Alien Bees. Sure they may look funny, but they are sort of like the old Bug. They run forever. Plus, they use low-voltage sync.

Why nopbody will replace antiquated, non-adjustable strobes with a mere $1,500 worth of equipment (and with that you get 3 lights and a bunch of stuff with it) that will last forever and is safer is beyond me.

Seriously, that Speedotron started smoking once....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several years back I bought a off brand non canon flash for my camera. I had to get special adaptors for it to work on the canon. The adaptors were almost as much as the flash. If I had had time before I left for over seas, I would have ordered the proper flash unit. I didn't test it before hand. Thankfully it ll worked when I was in a dug out canoe.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try buying a slave unit with a PC socket and using a shielded on-camera flash to set it off.

Things I wish were still readily available - Graflex holders, mechanical shutters on roll film cameras, lens stop-down buttons.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brian is right. Get a Wein safe-sync. It's an opto-electrical isolator. The Rebel probably can't deal with the voltages or impedance or polarity of the studio kit. Safe-sync doesn't care about any of that, it'll just work right.

You might want to look at this page I put together some time ago about strobe voltages and electronic cameras (film or digi -- doesn't matter): http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cable releases. Okay, my cameras all have sockets for cable releases. But the Canon's all require an electronic cable release. So I bought one. It's overpriced and I seldom use the silly thing anyway. How hard can it be to thread the shutter release?

I've gotten really good now at gently releasing the shutter with my finger. Don't need no stinkin' electronic cable release.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. My camera has all the above things. Mind you it doesn't have autofocus, built-in pop-up flash, motor wind, 15 program settings, LCD screens et al. I guess that's what consumers today expect, things to make life easier, not more complicated.
    The irony is, i borrowed my step-mums EOS 100 the other week and hated it. Couldn't get the hang of turning my brain off, and that was easier than turning all the automatic functions off.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Cable releases. Okay, my cameras all have sockets for cable releases. But the Canon's all require an electronic cable release. So I bought one. It's overpriced and I seldom use the silly thing anyway. How hard can it be to thread the shutter release?

I've gotten really good now at gently releasing the shutter with my finger. Don't need no stinkin' electronic cable release.
    The benefit with a cable release is that I can set-up my camera 12 feet away from me if I'm shooting wildlife and hide a safe disance away (I have an air tube one). Without the release I have to hide under camo nets etc and use a longer lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, PC sockets, cable release threads, and a wind lever would be great. I'd add DOF preview and a way to set the ASA on some cameras.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Images
    and a REAL mirror lock-up, (not the self timer cheat)
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    A wind lever.
    Without one, if your batteries die, you have an expensive doorstop. And c'mon, How lazy do you have to be to be unwilling to move your thumb an inch to the right between exposures?
    Sometimes there's nothing that beats the feeling of using a manual winder during a shoot, somehow it makes it feel more real.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin