Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 903

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The death of the PC socket.

O.k. Is it just me or has the PC socket just up and died?

O.k. Maybe not DIED, but definately gotten really sick.

I'm down in the lab working on a color project, when a calssmate asks for help in the studio with the strobes.

She had a Canon Rebel G. Now, I am a Nikon person, but I have always heard that Canons are great because you can buy the big glass and it will work with a $250 Rebel body. Many wildlife guys apparently do this as the lens counts more than the body.

But I am not sure how many studio people do this type of thing....

See, the damn thing, like most new cameras under $1,000 had no PC socket. It did have a hot shoe though. So we threw on an adapter.

Problem solved, right?

Nope.

While the camera would trigger the strobes when there was no film in it, it wouldn't trigger them when there was film loaded.

And no matter what we did, including setting the damn thing on "manual", it wouldn't fire the damn strobes.

I even checked the connections, everything worked and fired, except when it was on the damn camera!

Now, the PC synch is probably one of the simplest things around. Been around for years, and it works very nicely. The parts are cheap. So why not throw it on a camera?

Of course we all know the reasons for this. Money. A dollar saved on on camera is $50,000 in the bank each month. But even then, why not make synching easy? As far as I could figure the overly complex hot-shoe and the whole E-TTL thing might be the cause of the problem. And of course locking you into THEIR flash system is ideal, right?

The sad thing is, the really wonderful, and idiot proof PC synch is dying. Think about it. The PC socket is the IDEAL solution to many problems. It is standardized, it is cheap, it is effective. These new, more advanced flash systems, almost all of which are proprietary, just don't hack it. They require adaptors, manuals, etc.

It sucks.

Anyway, what piece to technology do you lament the demise or decline of?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    some cameras will only work with their pc-adapters, so the canon may only work with a canon brand hot-shoe to pc adapter....
    But yeah, it's ridiculous.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, this is one of the nuttier things missing on the latest cameras.

Also the cable release socket. How hard can this be? Even the simple on-off switch electric cable release socket would be fine. There is, though, a kind of clunky clamp on adapter that will attach to P&S cameras and others.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Cable release socket is what I miss as well with my F100

Robert - do you have to facility to fire the strobes using a flash camera mounted?

Images
    A wind lever.
    Without one, if your batteries die, you have an expensive doorstop. And c'mon, How lazy do you have to be to be unwilling to move your thumb an inch to the right between exposures?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very true, your point regarding technologies going proprietry Robert. On the F100 the remote shutter release is electronic (only). There is no mechanical option at all, nadda.
    Instead of getting by with a $10 mechanical release cable, it is necessary to spend NZ$260-00 on a cable that probably costs $10 to make! Go figure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is no way to slave those strobes at all. They are Speedotrons that date back to sometime around Watergate. Ironically, my much cheaper, and newer Alien Bees have a built in slave function that works great.

Then again they are made by Paul Buff, who I am sure loves the PC socket....

Yeah, the cable realease thing is nutty. I mean the N80 has it but the F100 doesn't? All you need to do is drill some threads through your shutter release!
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Images
    HOnestly, you should be using a safe sync adapter anyway. Unless you like the smell of burning electronics. None of my current cams have the PC socket, I have a $50 safe sync that goes onto the hot shoe and has a pc socket on the front. I am guessing that it had something to do with dirty contacts. You can use any hotshoe flash you want with the Rebel line of cameras, you just won't get ttl.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    .... All you need to do is drill some threads through your shutter release!
    Hmmmm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin