Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,615   Online: 1112

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    You would be surprised at the prevalence of cell phones in Mexico.
    Hey Jorge, I know. My humor doesn't always translate well in here...

As for cell phones, in Brazil, at least, it's out of control. One thing that really caught on down there is pre-paid cellulars. Buy a card of 25 bucks, and when you talk it out, it simply goes dead. So no extra charges, no paying for incoming calls. No montly bill means that when you're broke, you don't call anyone, but you can still receive calls. Much better than here in the U.S.

The result is that everyone, or many people of all social levels, have access to cell phones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The telecommunications industry buys the laws that govern our phones (as do all the biggies). They get paid twice for every call and if its prime time they get fatter still.

We are such sheep in the USA it is ridicules.

We have another good one here called No-Fault car insurance which basically makes it your fault regardless.

Oh never mind. I'm going to go watch freedom on the march. Swear to god -- half the populace of the USA thinks we are on our way toward liberating the world (whether they like it need it or want it).

I need a pale ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez

As for cell phones, in Brazil, at least, it's out of control. One thing that really caught on down there is pre-paid cellulars. Buy a card of 25 bucks, and when you talk it out, it simply goes dead. So no extra charges, no paying for incoming calls. No montly bill means that when you're broke, you don't call anyone, but you can still receive calls. Much better than here in the U.S.

The result is that everyone, or many people of all social levels, have access to cell phones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez

Andre, sorry, I realized later that I was a bit dry without meaning to...sorry buddy.

It is out of control here too, just like in Brazil, in exactly the same manner, the pre paid cell phone card. You see these morons everywhere, supermarket, book store, video store, etc, etc talking on their damn phones. There is nothing worse than being at a restaurant trying to read or hold a conversation and having an idiot on the next table screaming to his cell phone. BTW, why does everbody scream when talking on cell phones?.......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW, why does everbody scream when talking on cell phones?.......
    'Cause by the time they've fitted they're phones with cameras, radios, torches, gps, 20 playstation games etc there's no room left for an aerial so the reception is crap!
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    127 Format
    On trips to the USA over the last 5 years I'm AMAZED at how rare phones are. Until about two years ago I saw very few even among profesionals. I certainly saw none in use in the street. The last time I was over a year ago, they were relativly common amon the attendees of the conference I was at (hi-tech, hi-salary), but still none in the street.

In the UK, I'd guess 80% of the population has them, and that increases to about 99% of under 30's. EVERYONE has a phone.

The Pay-as-you-go card system means anyone can get a phone, without a contract. At their cheapest, a new phone was 30 pounds ($50), including 5 pounds of credit. Anyone in the USA doesn't get the scale of the problem over here.

On the plus side the article (actually written about the area I went to school), doens't mention restrictions on view-camera's in schools.

Hey - they're banning digital camera's - why are we upset?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Found another one.... only 169 pounds... very tempting

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm
    Now THAT is cool! I could have used one of those just yesterady...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not surprising how cell phones have gained in popularity. Have you tried to use a pay phone lately? That is, if you can find one? Mom and pop pay phone companies seem to be everywhere with no consistency whatsoever. My wife tried to use a pay phone last week that had a voice recognition system. Of course it could not recognize her voice. Another oddity--cell phone service areas. In some places, if you turn your phone toward the north, you are on "Roam" but a turn to the west can mean you have full "Home" service or "No Service".

I really am becoming a Luddite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    On trips to the USA over the last 5 years I'm AMAZED at how rare phones are. Until about two years ago I saw very few even among profesionals. I certainly saw none in use in the street. The last time I was over a year ago, they were relativly common amon the attendees of the conference I was at (hi-tech, hi-salary), but still none in the street.

In the UK, I'd guess 80% of the population has them, and that increases to about 99% of under 30's. EVERYONE has a phone.
    Ian
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't part of the reason that mobiles are so common in Europe is due to the billing system? In NA, (or Canada at least) on is billed a flat-rate for monthly local use; there are various plans for long-distance, but it is still cheap. My understanding is that in Europe, one is billed on a per call basis and as such, mobiles become much more advantageous. Is this true?
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We switched our land line phone to one that goes through our cable line. Now it is one flat rate for local and long distance a month. It is also a whole lot cheaper than it use to be with a lot more features. There are three of us in the house and each of us has a cell phone. I for one want to go back to carrier pigeons.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin