Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,764   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Schools Urged to Ban Camera Phones

[color=#336666]From the Scotsman.[/color] I know this refers to a digital product but it's only going to take one paedophile or rapist to get caught with one to set off the usual hysteria. And, as we know from Bjorkes site etc, that can only be bad for all photography.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I actually support a ban on cellphone cameras in schools. As well as cellphones themselves, though not for the same reasons. Kids are in school to learn, not take pictures during math class and send them to friends in writing class. These are distractions to their education. In the long run, it's better for them.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Agreed, cell phones have no use in class rooms, in cars while people are driving, in restaurants, in movie theaters. Damn Star Trek....they should ban cell phones period, there is nothing that important that cant wait until you get to the office or home. ...

Images
    Good Morning, David,

As a teacher who retired about three years ago, I have have mixed feelings about this.

For many years, I routinely had photo equipment with me at school, mostly because I was involved with the yearbook and had a very legitimate need for all kinds of photos, ranging from the standard, posed group shots to candids of students going about their normal school activities. I also had, of course, student photographers who occasionally used their cameras for similar purposes. I would hate to see the day when such routine photographic activity becomes restricted because of exaggerated paranoia.

At the same time, I was always aware that my photography had the potential to detract from the educational process. I always consulted my colleagues in advance about any intrusions into their classes and usually tried to work only in situations (lab, shop, PE, band, etc.) where some hustle and bustle was the norm. Since I was seen so frequently with camera in hand and an obvious purpose in mind, and since I didn't aim for any images which might be considered embarassing in any way, I suppose that some kind of mutual trust was present. I don't recall many student reactions which were even slightly negative; indeed, many students were clearly glad to think that their images might appear later in the yearbook.

Even so, I can certainly understand the position of a school which bans the use of cell phones with cameras or even cell phones in general. If I were back in the classroom today, I would certainly prohibit cell phones of any kind in my classes, even if the school did not. The damned things are disruptive! Teenagers can easily find enough distractions without having the ring of a cell phone in middle of class, much less the prospect of a student answering the thing and trying to have a private conversation when the class attention should be on the business at hand. A cell phone with photo capability would be even more objectionable in class, especially right now when its relative novelty would rate it as an attractive nuisance. (For those of you who are not educators, be aware that freshmen in a low-level class, for example, spend much time actively searching for things which will distract them from anything which resembles work.)

I also recall a recent article (The Wall Street Journal ???) which described the problem of students using multi-featured cell phones as a means of cheating during exams. Some professors are apparently now requiring that electronic devices be temporarily placed at the front of the room, away from their owners, during tests. Though mostly college students were cited in the article, but you can bet that high-schoolers won't be far behind.

I suppose that banning in-school use of photo cell phones at all times and in all circumstances might be a questionable policy, but properly-run schools have gradually and properly been able to reassert a reasonable level of authority over student behavior (after the disastrous decline caused by the "anything goes" idiots who popped up in the '70's). As a photographer, I resent the current paranoia over cameras and, especially, tripods(!) in public or semi-public places, but it seems to me that having an orderly learning environment in schools does take priority and that responsible schools may impose various restrictions in the interests of both student safety and effective education.

Now, about the fools who talk on cell phones while driving .. .

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdavis
    I actually support a ban on cellphone cameras in schools. As well as cellphones themselves, though not for the same reasons. Kids are in school to learn, not take pictures during math class and send them to friends in writing class. These are distractions to their education. In the long run, it's better for them.
    I totally agree with the ban on all cellphones in classrooms. Your argument above should be justification enough but they have to hit us with the old paedophile chestnut. That is what, at the moment, is creating the paranoia that is making something like street photography so fraught. Constantly bringing parents attention to the evil that is taking pictures of children is just going to make the situation worse.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with banning cell phones in schools. In restaurants, libraries, bookstores and most other public places too. Damn nuisances. As for cell phone cameras--ban them too. If the kids want to take pictures, let 'em use real cameras with real film.

Shooter
    Large Format

If I had the money

I would get me one of these, for $2000 you can buy one of these and jam cell phones up to a 100 feet. Would love to put one in my car.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6272681/?GT1=5472

article about jammers..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Agreed, cell phones have no use in class rooms, in cars while people are driving, in restaurants, in movie theaters. Damn Star Trek....they should ban cell phones period, there is nothing that important that cant wait until you get to the office or home. ...
    Jorge we agree on something

Shooter
    Large Format
    Found another one.... only 169 pounds... very tempting

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    unfortunately, cell phone jammers are illegal in the US, but i agree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin