Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,870   Online: 954

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How many decades ago did he stop being relevant?

If it was anyone else, they'd be nailed with a suit. I don't have a whole lot of patience for lazy has-beens who think the rules don't apply to them.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A painter drawing inspiration from photography...I have never heard of that before, that is real news.

Oops, forgot about Courbet's La Chateau de Chillon, 1874...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly, Brazilian artist Vik Muniz did a similar thing, reproducing from memory images from the Life coffee table book, "Best of Life" which he had lost some years earlier. I have seen these works in Sao Paulo and they are truly stunning. In the case of Muniz, perhaps because of the feat of memory or the breadth of his artistic talent, there has been no suggestion of plagiarism.
    By the way, though he works in many different media, (mediums?) sand, sugar, string, garbage, chocolate, spaghetti sauce, daimonds... his presentation is always a photograph, often gargantuan cibachrome prints. As I said earlier, quite stunning.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leaving aside the plagiarism issue, those Dylan paintings are plain awful. As someone wrote above, they have a paint by numbers feel about them - lifeless and static.

Shooter
    35mm
    One painting is not plagiarism,because he didn't paint photographer shadow ;-)
    Franol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never liked his painting. Or any of his albums since Nashville Skyline in 1969. I am a huge fan of his music on that album and prior, but the fact is that plagiarism, "inspiration," "borrowing," adaptation, and acting like others have been his whole shtick from the start. I appreciate his work, and I think much of it is really on a level beyond what most artists are capable of...but I don't think of his talent as originality, per se. More like a master adapter, who draws, cuts, and pastes from all sorts of sources to "paint a picture" (hyuk hyuk) for his listeners.

So, copied paintings are right in line with my feelings on the guy, and with his known artistic methods. Just surprised they got put up. Shows the ignorance of the gallery owner, for one thing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    malcolm mclaren did the same thing but in reverse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Éd..._l%27herbe.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._seejungle.jpg

but .. the only controversy was that anabella was 16

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    As the old saying goes (something like) "Copy one person's work and that's plagiarism, but copy several peoples' work and quote your references and it becomes research."
    All Mr Dylan had to do was to have come up with some claptrap about "paintings based on photographs that reflected his experiences" and he couldn't have been criticised.

As musician-painters go, I admire the work of Tony Bennett.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kinda reminds me of the joke from The Producers: "Hitler, now there was a painter! He could do an entire apartment in an afternoon, two coats!"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Just surprised they got put up. Shows the ignorance of the gallery owner, for one thing.
    Gagosian ignorant? Think before you type, dear critic.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin