Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,958   Posts: 1,558,080   Online: 1102

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Gagosian is no stranger to controversy (ie Patrick Cariou winning case against Gagosian recently), all should give this a read...

http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/new...it-3-21-11.asp

Part of me thinks this Dylan work is shown and written up in the manner we see on purpose to create buzz for the show? Any press is good press...
    Last edited by zsas; 09-30-2011 at 11:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FYI, that Leon Busy photography of the concubine in the opium parlor is an autochrome taken while Busy was in Vietnam for the French army. He was photographing for Albert Kahn's "Archives of the Planet".

As for Bob Dylan... he can do what he wants in my book. Desire is one of the best albums of the 20th century in my opinion.

No comment on the paintings.... people paint what they like, and no artist should concern themselves with legal issues, that is, until you try to sell stuff in which case you let your legal department do the worrying.

I have a premonition; this thread will spawn several heated arguments & personal attacks.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Has been"??? Oh to have been an Ever Was. To many of those that listen, Dylan has done some of his best work in the last few years.

Artists have been ripping one another off for years. People have been ripping Bob off almost as long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=billschwab;1242297]"Has been"??? Oh to have been an Ever Was. To many of those that listen, Dylan has done some of his best work in the last few years.

Agree with you Bill, some his best stuff has been in recent years, not taking away his early stuff which is second to none, Dylan is one talented dude and it really shows with his later work.

To me Dylan's paintings are like his harmonica playing, when you here him playing the harp or see a new painting, you know he's still alive and breathing........

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Gagosian is no stranger to controversy (ie Patrick Cariou winning case against Gagosian recently), all should give this a read...

http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/new...it-3-21-11.asp
    Re: Cariou vs. Prince and Gagosian.... This is far from over as Prince just won an appeal in this judgement and Gagosian is in the process of an appeal. Cariou hasn't won anything and if he does (which seems highly unlikely at this point), I'm not so sure it will be a good precedent to set in the arts. Read the artnet follow-up article dated sept. 17.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    People have been doing cover versions of Dylan forever. When you live in that kind of realm and you hear your own influence on others maybe you kind of develop a feeling of entitlement? Perhaps you kind of get caught up in the "open source" of art. Freewheeling Bob, right? Maybe he saw that photograph and was moved to create something visual, just like so many others have been moved to create words and music like his. But yes, he should stick to songwriting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Favorite Dylan albums: Oh Mercy (1989), Blood on the Tracks (1975), Love and Theft (2001).

Don't like his paintings, but I guess he does what he likes to do. More power to him. At least he shows good taste, painting from really good photographs.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Re: Cariou vs. Prince and Gagosian.... This is far from over as Prince just won an appeal in this judgement and Gagosian is in the process of an appeal. Cariou hasn't won anything and if he does (which seems highly unlikely at this point), I'm not so sure it will be a good precedent to set in the arts. Read the artnet follow-up article dated sept. 17.
    The mere fact that Prince can continue with his appeal does not vacate the verdict, and the ruling of Judge Batts still stands, which in effect calls Gagosian irresponsible (aka ignorant) and ultimately guilty. So if one of our fellow members (2F/2F) refers to Gagosian as "ignorant" there is case law to support that opinion.

If you are a proponent of liberal free use definition that is another matter

The fact of the matter here (Dylan) is that a painting is fair use and not in the same vein as the Prince fair use or cases like Shepard Fairey vs the AP or Mr Brainwash vs Glen Friedman

The issue causing all the debate is how Gagosian described Dylan's new body of work, the omission of the appropriation of photographs is creating buzz, that I believe to be intentional so folks like us who like art debate the issues and the buzz continues....
    Last edited by zsas; 09-30-2011 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added Judge Batts' name

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ishutteratthethought View Post

To me Dylan's paintings are like his harmonica playing, when you here him playing the harp or see a new painting, you know he's still alive and breathing........
    nicely put

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin