Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,388   Online: 879

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keanu Reeves, indeed, has expressed himself most eloquently!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Keanu Reeves, indeed, has expressed himself most eloquently!
    Not the least bit surprised. He is, after all, Canadian
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve The average Motion Picture Film and Still Photography Film has an acetate base or an Estar base. Films produced by Agfa-Gevaert use a Polyester base.
    Motion Picture film have a remjet backing, still films don't.There are some other differences as well but the base material is pretty much the same.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    None of the big movie camera manufacturers are making film cameras anymore.
    Panavision and Arri makes 35mm and 65mm film cameras. They also make digital cameras. Check the Spotlight tab at Panavision for movies done recently with the XL2 film camera.
    Last edited by waynecrider; 10-14-2011 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    W.A. Crider

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aaton too make cine cameras.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne and Agx Panavision and Arri stopped making Analogue Movie cameras last year or early this year. Aaton stopped making classic filmcameras just a short time ago. What they sell is remaining stock, the market (rental houses) are currently saturated with classic movie cameras and a lot of budget minded Indie Filmakers switched to Red or the Alexa in a New York minute, a stupid move if you ask me, but on the other hand pretty much the only filmmakers still shooting in Anamorphic Widescreen are the indie Filmmakers and a few A-List directors. The US TV is partly to blame all US TV series went digital to cut costs (had to thanks to the recent strikes writers and actors) this move has hurt the classic moviemaking industry more than you can imagine e.g.CSI (used to shot on 3perf 35mm) one of the last series to use film went digital 2 seasons ago.

Dominik

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I heard Breaking Bad is still using film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    pretty much the only filmmakers still shooting in Anamorphic Widescreen are the indie Filmmakers and a few A-List directors.
    Dominik
    Ya, a pretty unsavory group. (but I get your point)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    FYI: Matthew Weiner shoots "Mad Men" on film. After all, Christina Hendricks just wouldn't look right on video...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...mad-men-172385

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my ideal world film origination and digital post would be the choice. During my time as film and sound editor and post production supervisor ensuring that a show print was free from dust printed in, scratches and other abrasions was a very full time job. Opticals (all those fades, dissolves, super titles and other everyday devices) were slow, expensive and not always exactly what the director wanted, thus sent back to the lab for more attempts. More exotic effects were the field of rare and very expensive technicians. Most of these effects are desk top procedures now and offer immediate results for approval.

It has to then become a saving to originate digitally.

"Vera Drake" may have been shot on 16mm, I do wonder how the post was done. It was always a huge compromise to work with 16mm magnetic film, poor frequency response and almost impossible to "fit" looped dialogue. 35mm magnetic film allowed the editor to adjust in increments of 1/96th of a second, 16mm 1/24th. I recall seeing a BBC feature film shot in 16mm and blown up for cinemas where the theatre had a sign up apologising for the sync of some of the dialogue.

These days (of retirement) I thoroughly enjoy the clean, unscratched, non weaving (watch a film print closely, they all weave to some degree) projected image of digital projection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin