Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,461   Online: 935

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pictures at the moment but wanting to work on ideas/ concepts.
    Greg Davis' and Bob Carnies' posts describe exactly where I want to be.
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you were a model maker or potter or ceramacist, would your outlook change — at all? Great art often stems from the most mediocre of ideas. How you apply it and with what frame of mind determines the outcome.

I know of many artists in many disciplines: a few do it for the love of it. Others do it professionally to put bread on the table, others still, drift on as a hobby. Me, I've done it professionally, finished with that after 20 years and now simply do it to please nobody but myself — with the end result to make a lasting, memorable image. Your doubts are well-founded, but you need to believe in yourself and what and why you are doing it and never look back or question it.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    ...if I am honest in my photography, and truly photograph what I want to photograph...
    Then you have accomplished something worthwhile!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the artists I admire most is Miles Davis: his music changed and evolved over time until his death. I saw him perform when he must have been 70 and his work still seemed fresh. That is what I hope to do. I want my photographs to continue to interest me and hopefully others, but not be static. Part of the joy of being a photographer for me is to continually look at the world in different ways. As much as I admire some great photographers like Michael Kenna (whose work I really like), I wouldn't want to have a consistent body of work over decades. I'd get bored. I think it is difficult to break into the gallery world without having a consistent look that is finely honed. Thankfully my day job is good enough to allow me the freedom (or lack of discipline depending how you look at it) to do a body of work for a few years and move on.

Thomas -- thanks for posting the topic. This forced me to articulate what's been in the back of my mind for awhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Then you have accomplished something worthwhile!
    Perhaps, but sometimes it's hard not to second guess yourself, even when printing. That little voice telling you to up the contrast and more people will like it. I'll say this much, most people like to say "screw what anyone else thinks", but it takes some serious balls to believe that to the core.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This is a printers worst nightmare, knowing a print will rock if it is done differently to what the client wants, therefore when printing for myself I really try to please one person and take others opinions off the table.
    The best printers for others that I know are chamelions and are able to change styles and looks easily to move in directions their clients want.
    But for one's personal work I truly believe it has to come from your heart and make it the way you think it should be, some will get it , others will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Perhaps, but sometimes it's hard not to second guess yourself, even when printing. That little voice telling you to up the contrast and more people will like it. I'll say this much, most people like to say "screw what anyone else thinks", but it takes some serious balls to believe that to the core.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I believe Joseph Sudek work is so well admired because he worked with three tones, grey , grey and grey and pulled it off wonderfully, imagine if he listened to others who wanted a complete range of tones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot mostly for myself, the way I want, but I'm not a purist about it.

I've done some weddings for money, and that's a mix of being chosen because they liked my work and being willing to shoot what's on their list and do it well. I don't seek out weddings; they sometimes come to me.

I also tend to be prepared for photos more than most people, by the virtue of both experience and having more gear in my car or on my person than other people. So I'll sometimes be shooting some stuff for family or friends for my fun or their favor. I don't worry about whether they'll like it. Such consumers of photos are typically not fussy and are easily pleased.

I mostly have photo equipment, film, expenses, darkroom, for doing what I want with photography. It has other uses as well, as has been described.

I go along with many of the others here. It's too confusing and not pertinent to worry about what other people think when I'm doing photography for myself. If it conveys something, great. Other times, I'll create an image for an abstract composition or to learn something historical and expect no particularly relevant response from people.

I'm not into contests. I think Tillman Crane has written a good blog article about selection versus rejection with regard to competitive photography.
    http://www.tillmancrane.com/news/musing-october-2011/
    I'm used to having solid reasons for not fitting in, and it's no surprise than images we create don't fit in always either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    For me, it's all about self satisfaction. When I was young I dreampt of being an artist. Life happened to get in the way of that and beat it out of me. I managed to get to a point in my life where I can focus on my desire to form art, and shoot to find the artist in me. If people find my work appealing and want to own some of it, fine and dandy. I have managed to sell some of my more mainstream looking photos, and that fuels the artist in me even more.
    That's creepy, I had to look and see if I had written it earlier. Rick that pretty much, exactly, sums up my point if view.

When I was young I always wanted to create and additionally I wanted to know how things worked. I have a need to find simplicity in the complex. It seems that the direction I took was to create an abstraction out of simple subjects. Kind of the opposite of simplifying the complex.

I would say it's like creating images where the viewer must look long enough to figure it out. Like a kind of visual puzzle. I've not put any of this in words until right now, it's like discovery for me.

I enjoy all kinds if images of all kinds of subject matter. I guess I just enjoy and crave all kinds of art. I'm not going to reread this, I might decide to delete it all.

Paul Strand said "have something to say". Doesn't every image have something to say?
    Last edited by Curt; 10-15-2011 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: The if should be of. My phone won't let me do the edit.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Salute, I was in the US Navy and I am a combat veteran of the Vietnam war.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin