Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,029   Online: 995

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diwan is an incredible person, I've met few people like him.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I make my images firstly for my self - I like to play with my models, and I like to play in the darkroom.

However, when finished with my prints, the opinions of others suddenly means a lot..
    In general people have been kind to me - but I don't know whether this is because they are well bread,,,, (If you can't say something nice, then quep quiet..).
    I have submitted images for exhibitions on and off during my life, and I have never been accepted in one of those... which might explain my lack of confidence in my images.....

I have just begun a "project", which might prove the most difficult, mentally, in my life:

Just two portraits...
    But the "problem" is, that the two portraits will be of my headmaster and his wife, from when I was a student here at the school...
    The portraits are ment to be the "official portraits" of those two people, and they are ment to be hanged at the school "for eternity"....

I am so nerveus about this. Who am I to think I can make such images for the future? What will the current members of the border of the school think?

Time will tell - for now this project remains a secret between the two people in the portraits and me....
    I leave an open dor to get out of, if it proves too difficult.. (typical me)

If these portraits were for the persons portrayed, then I'd have no problems.. This is bigger than me ,I feel..

So here I am: Ithought of the portraits - I have now photographed the people - whether it will be a good ending is up to other people... (or me...)

So easy to be "world champion" in your own house....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    the story or idea is more important than any individual image. Trying to walk around and find images is IMO a waste of energy, but walking around with a concept or story to tell and capturing images that tell the story is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    ...wanting to work on ideas/ concepts...
    The idea need not be big. Today for example, I am going to take pictures of the kids playing soccer. My idea is not to look for outstanding goal shots but kids in control of the ball. Maybe throw in a Grand-dad, mom, kid picture. My preferred work is nature photography so this is outside my comfort zone.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Perhaps, but sometimes it's hard not to second guess yourself, even when printing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    This is a printers worst nightmare, knowing a print will rock if it is done differently to what the client wants.
    A story to illustrate...

I got a chance to share my darkroom with pbrendanc this week. He came by to see if he could make sharper prints from his negatives.

To match his proofs would have required Grade 4. But since Galerie doesn't come in that grade, we worked with Grade 3.

I usually print full-frame but Brendan prefers a clean edge, so I gave him control of the easel, enlarger height and focus. He was confident in the crop he wanted and the focus was right-on.

We pulled a couple test strips, discussed the tones and how they would look after dry-down and made a firm decision about main exposure and dodging. First print was "fine" but highlights were a little hot, so we decided to burn them in.

There was no second-guessing, it was "homing-in" and the decisions were well-founded and contributed to improvements.

We worked on a second negative and I saw a light edge that had to be cropped out. Otherwise again Brendan did the crop and we picked the test strip exposure that looked right. I committed us to two prints straight exposure.

The prints do not match the proofs, which looked great as they were. But I believe the new prints we made will stand up on their own.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i try not to think much about what i am doing. over thinking for me is like forcing
    and for me at least if i force something, it never works. this is true for me no matter
    what it is i am doing ... portraits, or documentary photographs for a client, or just
    having fun with a paper negative box camera ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I make my images firstly for my self - I like to play with my models, and I like to play in the darkroom.

However, when finished with my prints, the opinions of others suddenly means a lot..
    In general people have been kind to me - but I don't know whether this is because they are well bread,,,, (If you can't say something nice, then quep quiet..).
    I have submitted images for exhibitions on and off during my life, and I have never been accepted in one of those... which might explain my lack of confidence in my images.....

I have just begun a "project", which might prove the most difficult, mentally, in my life:

Just two portraits...
    But the "problem" is, that the two portraits will be of my headmaster and his wife, from when I was a student here at the school...
    The portraits are ment to be the "official portraits" of those two people, and they are ment to be hanged at the school "for eternity"....

I am so nerveus about this. Who am I to think I can make such images for the future? What will the current members of the border of the school think?

Time will tell - for now this project remains a secret between the two people in the portraits and me....
    I leave an open dor to get out of, if it proves too difficult.. (typical me)

If these portraits were for the persons portrayed, then I'd have no problems.. This is bigger than me ,I feel..

So here I am: Ithought of the portraits - I have now photographed the people - whether it will be a good ending is up to other people... (or me...)

So easy to be "world champion" in your own house....
    Emil:

You probably already know this, but I'll mention it anyways.

The fact that you are concerned, and that you worry, is good!

It means that all your considerable faculties are focused on the task at hand, and that you, yourself won't let yourself do anything that wouldn't be up to your own high standards.

I'm sure that the results will hold up tremendously well throughout the future.

Just one suggestion though - for portraits like this, unless the subjects really insist, or your school is really different, it is probably best if they wear clothes for the portraits .

All the best,
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Just one suggestion though - for portraits like this, unless the subjects really insist, or your school is really different, it is probably best if they wear clothes for the portraits .

All the best,

hehe - yes - but what an idea though.....

Portraits already taken - now remains the hard part - to make them into images...

thanks for your words.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again, everybody, for contributing to the thread.

I don't think that having an idea about WHAT to photograph is necessarily bad. My opinion is that it's good to have little projects, goals, or portfolios to work on. It's absolutely a good thing.

What I really was asking was more about subscribing to a broader idea or movement. For example, you see someone like Ralph Gibson printing very hard contrast with massive visual impact, while you see pictorialists priting with soft contrast and basically all mid-tones for a more painterly result. I know what I prefer, but that's besides the point. I appreciate the work of others, but it doesn't mean I'm going to go make my pictures look like them. I'm going to go make my pictures look what I want them to look like, based on my own ideas and imagination.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that moving forward it will be all about following my heart, by doing what feels right. That's the only way I can stay happy with this.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post

Hej Emil,

So what is it about the opinions of others that matter so much? Please don't take this as a disagreement. I am just curious.

I am 100% sure that the portraits will be amazing.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i try not to think much about what i am doing. over thinking for me is like forcing and for me at least if i force something, it never works. this is true for me no matter what it is i am doing ... portraits, or documentary photographs for a client, or just having fun with a paper negative box camera ...

I liked this response. I skipped a few pages, but this one caught my eye.

I'm trying to do the same thing lately. For the longest time I have viewed other peoples photo blogs and work, and tried to find something that I might like to use. Whether it was a pose, lighting, angle, negative space, or whatever else caught my eye. I also tried to remember things that I have heard instructors or teachers or other more successful photographers have said during workshops. All of that information combined lead to a very cluttered mindset and the resulting work I found was something that *I* doubted.

Over the last few months I have made a conscious decision to NOT look at other peoples work, to NOT surf through photo blogs, and to NOT think about what that instructor said about shadows or other techniques. I've tried to go back to the days of shooting what catches my eye, and what makes me happy when its printed.

Whether its actually true or not has yet to be determined, but it seems that my creativity is certainly flowing more freely lately. I'm certainly having more fun, thats for sure!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Either way, I'm pretty sure that moving forward it will be all about following my heart, by doing what feels right. That's the only way I can stay happy with this.

See my response above.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin