Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,190   Online: 751

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    From beginners point of view
    ---------------------------

* Isolating a subject from a chaos is the first lesson to learn.

* Once isolated look for regular/irregular geometries and its inter-relationship.

* Next comes is the choice of the lens(nothing to do with sharpness or how well it is built) but to show these inter-relationships as it is if your prefer.

Finally is taking the shot.

- Still there are infinite subjects around us, which are yet to be photographed.

Nevertheless, the below photograph was take when I do not know what I am photographing... :-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RalfSmokes.jpg  
    Last edited by baachitraka; 01-04-2012 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Posted the shot in Gallery, Pink Piranhas vs Purple Panthers. I got what I was thinking of, a kid totally focused on the ball. Not suggesting it was a great idea, it was a small idea.
    Not sure who responded with a manipulation of this shot... But in the spirit of carrying on with the idea... I amped it up and blue toned this shot...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i feel the same way.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    As my photography life continues on, I seem to be interested more and more in purely subject matter. This has proven a bit difficult for me to live by, because I'm not 100% confident in how to handle it. How do I follow my heart?
    By getting a photographic moose. What you do is that (with appropriate surgery) you hook your heart onto the moose, and then of course you will follow your heart because it's being carried by a 1200 pound animal. You will really follow that photographic moose, believe you me. Yah, sure, it's just one of those certain things. Me, I just use packs on the photographic moose and let it carry my equipment. Then of course I follow it because it's got all my gear on its back. And then it's wandering through all those briar bushes and into some stupid swamp with the mosquitoes and all that. Stupid moose. It never hangs around super models. What's with that?

Anyways, the reason I started photographing was because of moonlight. Cameras weren't big in my family, that's just the way it was. So when I saw how the moonlight lit things, I was entranced by it. I wanted to photograph what I saw and felt. I have seen things that I would never have seen otherwise if I hadn't pursued photography.

I'm still failing at photographing by moonlight. I don't mind. I'll keep trying until I get it right, and then I'll do it with mastery.

I know that I have to photograph. I have to pick up a camera and make photographs. One time a while back when I was confined to the floor due to back pain, I spent hours setting up my camera to photograph ... a door knob. I had to do it. It had to be done. So I did it. I have to use film. Film gives me what I want.

Tom, from what you've written, it seems that photography for you has not been about the subject matter. Now you are starting to really see through to what photography is. It's time to truly start enjoying it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, not exactly moonlight, but there is some in the scene -

Try shooting in mixed lighting to get better at night photography, then work your way up to full moonlight.

Kodak Portra 160nc, Mamiya RB67, 180mm lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Try shooting in mixed lighting to get better at night photography, then work your way up to full moonlight.

Kodak Portra 160nc, Mamiya RB67, 180mm lens.
    The last time I did full moonlight was when there was a "super moon" (like the one this weekend) up and about. I used my Pentax 645 with Kodak E100S, and it looked like pure daylight, except for some lights reflecting on the water. I had hoped for color shifts or something, like star trails. It's just a matter of leaving the lens open longer, but I need something to distinguish that the photograph is made at night. Hmm, maybe I should try a polarizer. The moon was 90 degrees to the lens, and the sky just looked blue. A polarizer should cut that out so I could star trails.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin