Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,530   Online: 1002

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: On Technique

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photography is a communicative art. The purpose of technique is to aid us in that communication - it gives us tools that we can use for our intended purpose.

I'm sure there are thousands (millions?) of musicians out there who would like to make music in a particular way, in order to create what they envision, but cannot, because they haven't as yet acquired the technique necessary to do so.

Why should photographers be different?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have neglected to mention that there is photographic technique and laboratory technique; both active in photography.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Thomas Bertilsson;1248502] For my own purposes I am almost always entirely happy with my print quality. I honestly don't feel that I need to look at another paper, film, camera, lens, camera strap, or whatever, to get the final print that I want.QUOTE]

And yet over the relatively short time I've been a member here and looked at the images you post, you've used quite a variety of cameras, films, developers, papers and toners.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not saying this to knock your work, just to point out you've used a pretty wide array of materials. I recall all sorts of things, from Edwal 12 to XTOL to Rodinal at various dilutions etc, and that's just a few of the film developers. Had you not experimented and practiced with different products and techniques, you wouldn't know they had applications relevant to your images (I use the term "image" as the raw compositional decision, before any materials are applied). Granted you're not interested in plotting characteristic curves, but it's all quite similar in the end. These people you refer to who have no interest in technique, they might say who needs the subtelties of something like Edwal 12? Or a Hasselblad? Just load up whatever piece of crap with Tri-X and use that for everything, develop it all in D76 at Kodak's recommended time, print it straight on whatever paper developed in whatever is on the shelf at the local store and done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael;

You might look at my work and decide which was better; Technicqe or whatever...........

I could not have taken some of them if I had worried about technique. I just relied on gut feeling and fired away.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Technique does not trump vision, it serves vision.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Michael R 1974;1248541]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    For my own purposes I am almost always entirely happy with my print quality. I honestly don't feel that I need to look at another paper, film, camera, lens, camera strap, or whatever, to get the final print that I want.QUOTE]

And yet over the relatively short time I've been a member here and looked at the images you post, you've used quite a variety of cameras, films, developers, papers and toners.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not saying this to knock your work, just to point out you've used a pretty wide array of materials. I recall all sorts of things, from Edwal 12 to XTOL to Rodinal at various dilutions etc, and that's just a few of the film developers. Had you not experimented and practiced with different products and techniques, you wouldn't know they had applications relevant to your images (I use the term "image" as the raw compositional decision, before any materials are applied). Granted you're not interested in plotting characteristic curves, but it's all quite similar in the end. These people you refer to who have no interest in technique, they might say who needs the subtelties of something like Edwal 12? Or a Hasselblad? Just load up whatever piece of crap with Tri-X and use that for everything, develop it all in D76 at Kodak's recommended time, print it straight on whatever paper developed in whatever is on the shelf at the local store and done.
    So we're down to personal attacks now, are we? I was beginning to like you.

Did it ever occur to you that I might be printing old negatives? Did it ever occur to you that I might have not always reasoned the way I have for the last three years, trying to get away from using too many materials, which I feel got me nowhere? Can we get back on schedule now, discussing something important, like not counting how many developers Thomas used to use?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And yes. Tri-X in D76 in my old Pentax. Sure. Why not?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Technique does not trump vision, it serves vision.
    Now that could make a good sig line!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't buy it. I believe every talented photographer has a technique. It may be innate or learned. It may be purposeful or intuitive (though usually more intuitive). It may be static or evolving. It may be "a" technique or multiple techniques. In fact, it's technique that separates the talented from the lucky. Technique is repeatable, luck isn't.

I do believe, however, that mechanics can be confused for technique. And that focusing (no pun intended) on the mechanics of taking a photograph can interfere not just with spontaneity but the process of "seeing" itself. But I'd be hard pressed to articulate where mechanics end and technique begins. The best I can do at first glance is that technique is "what" and mechanics are" how".
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    threads like this crack me up ..
    technique, no technique ... who cares
    it's not like it matters ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin