Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,757   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Thoughts on fashion -vs- art

“Fashion is what seems beautiful now but looks ugly later; art can be ugly at first but it becomes beautiful later.” - Steve Jobs

Interesting take. What do you think?

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    “Fashion is what seems beautiful now but looks ugly later; art can be ugly at first but it becomes beautiful later.” - Steve Jobs

Interesting take. What do you think?

Eric
    Seems simplistic to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess I don't see what shelf life has to do with something being art.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it seems that art can "grow on you" but by the time bad fashion grows on you
    it is out of fashion ... if you wait 20 years that bad fashion will be beautiful again.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Styles come and go. Style lasts.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Fashion sells today; art endures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So is the pictorialist style a fashion or an art? f64? Soft focus (High tech or Low tech)? PJ? ...
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    So is the pictorialist style a fashion or an art? f64? Soft focus (High tech or Low tech)? PJ? ...
    I think it is more a matter of intent. Trying to be fashionable -- or to create something from the heart...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please feel free to ignore the following; it probably does little to promote the discussion.

I think we may be confusing three words or concepts here, (if I remember properly from the semester 20 or so years ago when I was asked to teach Marketing) Fad, Fashion and Style. The words are often used interchageably, and there is considerable overlap between their meainings.

A fad is something that catches on very quickly in the market, but which has little appeal beyond the current trend and tends to fade quickly. Think Hula Hoops, Beanie Babies, and (hopefully) HDR. The cool kids have a knack for being right on the curve with fads. Fads tend to be bold and eye catching, and sometimes a little embarrassing when we look back on them. One other thing about fads is that they do not necessarily fade, but are often outright rejected when they are no longer part of the cool cycle.

Fashion may take elements of a fad, or be influenced by it, but has a broader, more lasting appeal. (you may or may not like it, but it creates its own market) Like the shape and colour palattes of cars, the length of hemlines, or the trend over the last decade towards greater contrast or saturation in images. (which is most likely a result of the digital evolution)

Style is the word that is most akin to art. It is something that has lasted long enough to be recognizeable by its elements, and takes its place in the broader culture of a nation or region. Think Art Deco, denim jeans, Greek and Roman columns. In photography these would be the various genres or techniques which have developed over these last 150+ years; documentary, street, landscape, abstract, etc. A style may or may not be currently fashionable, ("stlyish" generally means in fashion) but can be identified by its elements. Its influence can be seen in other areas of the culture and a style can often be taken by the rest of the world to represent or identify a culture.

Whichever word you prefer to use, the question is, "what is the lasting value of this photograph?" Not how much is it worth, but is it relevant beyond the walls of your studio on the day it is made? Is it worthy of consideration beside the acknowledged masters of the art? Is it beautiful, thought-provoking, well executed? What does it say, what does it do?

Is it art?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Whichever word you prefer to use, the question is, "what is the lasting value of this photograph?" Not how much is it worth, but is it relevant beyond the walls of your studio on the day it is made? Is it worthy of consideration beside the acknowledged masters of the art? Is it beautiful, thought-provoking, well executed? What does it say, what does it do?

Is it art?

Nicely stated sir!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin