Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,328   Online: 938

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Tehy do already

Quote Originally Posted by gmay View Post
    When the robots begin standing in front of mirrors with their cameras in order to take their self-portraits: the end of photography?
    They do already, look at FarceBook

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I totally disagree.

The advance slowed down about 20 years ago, because it took more and more R&D to make smaller advances, but they did take place.

PE
    I agree. Just in the last few years we've seen two electron sensitization; before that it was tabular grain.

But to answer the question, I see it coming full circle, with people making more and more of their own materials on their own or, perhaps, with them relying on much smaller companies to supply their materials. They still make artists oils; I suspect there will always be some sort of commercial photo materials available, but it will never be like it was just before digital hit.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fortunately none of us will be alive in a hundred years to find out.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Maris, if you had shown a mobile phone to Alexander Graham Bell he would not have believed it possible.
    What would happen if the first phone call was busy signal!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maris, if you had shown a mobile phone to Alexander Graham Bell he would not have believed it possible.
    The same Alexandar Graham Bell who stated that he did not believe he was exaggerating when he thought that there would one day be a telephone in every major US town!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    I agree. Just in the last few years we've seen two electron sensitization; before that it was tabular grain.

But to answer the question, I see it coming full circle, with people making more and more of their own materials on their own or, perhaps, with them relying on much smaller companies to supply their materials. They still make artists oils; I suspect there will always be some sort of commercial photo materials available, but it will never be like it was just before digital hit.

Ed
    Two answers here Ed!

It took over 15 years go get 2e sensitization into film in a useful manner, and R&D costs were huge by then! So, R&D became like squeezing blood out of a turnip!

As for making it yourself, the actual formulas and methods are very secret! There are only about 100 Photo Engineers left in the entire world. in 100 years, who will be around to teach it? Right now, out of the total membership of APUG, only about 20 are interested or are willing to act as you say may take place. So, the knowledge may be lost.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    All digital!
    Not while I can stir silver and salts in a beaker
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now, out of the total membership of APUG, only about 20 are interested or are willing to act as you say may take place. So, the knowledge may be lost.PE
    Ten dedicated people are enough to nuture and grow the Art of silver gelatin. "Secrets" ?? Not so much - just skills to be learned and shared (And, there's absolutely no reason to assume commercial film and paper will ever go completely away. One generation of photo chemist will teach the next -- just as it's always been. Chemical photograpy can continue without Kodak or RIT.)

d

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Already happening with the hipstamatics, you can download apps that will mimic any kind of stlye.
    I will be out of business within a year with all this new fancy gear able to make prints of any style.

In terms of futuristic cameras, I am surprised that marketing men have not yet produced a camera, with instead of a shutter speed dial, it has settings like HCB, Kertesz, Sudek, Atget. Totally ridiculous, but which some members of the general public might actually believe is possible.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Already happening with the hipstamatics, you can download apps that will mimic any kind of stlye.
    I will be out of business within a year with all this new fancy gear able to make prints of any style.
    Just because they can make prints doesn't mean they should, Bob. The irony seems to be that anyone wanting a quality print still needs someone who can pull it off, whatever the capture media.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin