Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,337   Online: 799

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PE, sorry, but fail to see how this will work without glasses. Can you please post a 3D image in reply that we can see on screen without glasses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cliveh;

It will not work without the special surface mounted array. It looks like a fine triangular set of ridges running from top to bottom ans when you look at it at a right angle at the right distance, one eye loos through one side of the triangle and the other looks through the other side of the triangle. The total effect is 3D.

Touching the surface of one of these is like touching a fine tooth transparent file.

The same method can be used to yield moving "stills"! Kodak made moving movie posters for the lobby of local theaters. Kind of like in "Back to the Future". It works and is quite amazing. I saw some Star Trek Generations ads and Jurassic Park ads using the technology.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. Is this similar to a lenticular screen?
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhat. But, lenticules are like, well, lentils! This is more corrugated with pointy tops.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see. Thanks, PE.
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    35mm
    What PE has described is exactly how this Nintendo 3DS works. One eye sees one set of pixels, the other eye sees the other set of pixels because of the distance between the eyes and the angles of the prisms. It looks pretty cool. Like I (and PE) said, there is a rather narrow viewing angle but for what it's being used for it works amazingly well IMHO.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, as you look off center, the image becomes distorted and then snaps back in, then out, then in as you progress from row to row of the "prisms". Not pleasant for many people....

They are working on many improvements to 3D. See this months Science News.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Guys, Kodak had a 3D print system using the same method about 30 years ago. They published their annual report back then with a 3D cover. And today, in Beijing, the airport displays are 3D. All with no glasses.
    I have the cover from one of those Annual Reports. It's a photo of a young boy on a boat dock with an old fisherman. Alas, I stupidly saved just the cover...

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This is more corrugated with pointy tops.

PE
    Sounds like those old "3-D" images from when I was a kid, which were called lenticular or prismatic images. They had straight parallel ridges. They gave either a 3-D effect or part or all of the image would change when viewing angle changed.
    The 3-D images were more blurry than the type that changed. They were sometimes prizes in Crackerjack boxes. The cover picture of one of the Rolling Stones' albums was lenticular for a 3-D effect. I remember an issue of some magazine had one on the cover. I'm not positive, but I think there were some special edition trading cards that used them, too.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're interested in glass-less 3D, check this old thread out... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...otography.html

... I'm still holding out for a group buy on some fly's eye arrays. They'd be relatively easy to fool around with and would be completely analog.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin