Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,651   Posts: 1,481,302   Online: 861

View Poll Results: Would you punch Bruce Gilden in his face?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, dammit!

23 37.70%
  • No, why?

38 62.30%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    id be too busy making a photograph with him in it to care that he is making a photo with me in it..

people talk all about privacy and wanting to punch photographers and remove their film stuff online.. in print... but in reality most people are like how people speak of animals/bugs. .. "they are more afraid of you than you of them.."
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    Interesting photos at times, (and I am a lover of the happy accident) but his method strikes me as similar to monkeys pounding out Hamlet, hit the keys (or shutter) enough times and you will end up with cool things.
    I've wondered about this too, but from a slightly different point of view. If more photographers had the balls to do what Gilden does -- i.e., there was a larger body of work of the "flash in your face" variety -- would Gilden's work still be noteworthy? In other words, does Gilden's work stand on its shock value alone?

dirtyharry (Flickr) utilizes this approach far more tactfully, and, to my eyes, far more artfully:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtyharrry/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I've wondered about this too, but from a slightly different point of view. If more photographers had the balls to do what Gilden does -- i.e., there was a larger body of work of the "flash in your face" variety -- would Gilden's work still be noteworthy? In other words, does Gilden's work stand on its shock value alone?

dirtyharry (Flickr) utilizes this approach far more tactfully, and, to my eyes, far more artfully:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtyharrry/
    Well, it's possible that Gilden wouldn't be so appreciated if every single photographer has enough courage (or so little respect) to behave similarly.
    But photographers usually have both respect and/or fear preventing Gilden's star to dim.
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyway, I think many of you treated this poll way too serious. Didn't you guys notice emoticon both in thread title and poll description?
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is no connection between Gilden and his subjects - they are simply snapshots with an expensive camera - it might be fun to find him "working" and quick pull out a mirror

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I keep hoping he'll shoot my 350 lb Maori lawyer someday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I keep hoping he'll shoot my 350 lb Maori lawyer someday.
    Instantly thought of Dr. Gonzo - but he was supposedly Samoan, I think

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I wouldn't punch him, have you seen the size of him?

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex66 View Post
    No I would ask for a copy of the picture though.
    I would ask for a signed copy, limited edition

That man is really tough.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my continuing education of the photo world, I was not aware of this guy previously and after two minutes of watching his YouTube stuff my impression of him was simple and immediate.

He is an arrogant douchebag.

Interesting photos at times, (and I am a lover of the happy accident) but his method strikes me as similar to monkeys pounding out Hamlet, hit the keys (or shutter) enough times and you will end up with cool things.
    He is definitelyy arrogant and most people hate his guts. I'm not sure about the monkey business you are talking about. I doubt they would get him at Magnum if his work would be of little value or just "accidents". The problem is that you saw the youtube clip before seeing his work...

Oh, about the initial question: if you ask a photographer most answers will be "no punch"; if you ask the people on the street the answers will be probably split 50/ 50. In actual fact no one will punch this guy and he knows it.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin