Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,271   Online: 950

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    "Photogenic" is culturally determined. If a portrait subject can be used to turn out face pictures like the ones in the popular "beautiful people" magazines then they are photogenic. If we lived in the Sara, Lobi, or Surma tribes the women with the biggest lip-discs would be the most photogenic!
    They might ask the question: 'hey, I've got a bigger lip disc than her but she looks better on film, what gives?'...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What makes a person photogenic? A good photographer and a beauty dish.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For this kind of thing, I generally check I with the mirror...

...to see if anyone suitable is standing behind me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    attitude
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't know what makes a person photogenic, but i know there are ways
    of photographing someone to show them in a flattering pose.

everyone has a "good side" ... that combined with camera tilt, and lighting, and careful retouching ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Symmetry and slightly exaggerated facial features such a bone structure, lip shape, orbital lobes, brow shape, chin and jaw line shape. Expression and projection of feeling. even and smooth tones.

Certain aspects of beauty are universal to the human condition, an air of health and strong traits for fertility. Objects such a Venus figurines have been found in archaeological sites all over the world, from all different cultures.

But, culture can also dictate the norms of those peoples, and what is culturally accepted or taboo in relation to beauty. The more restricted the culture the more narrow the window, the more open and mixed a culture is the more forms present of accepted beauty.

A widely known phenomenon from more recent history is the practice of tanning. Prior to the 50's a very light and fair complexion was considered beautiful, the social change of the more affluent class to tan and darken the complexion went contrary to this, but the reflected image of having enough disposable income, to go on vacation and out to beaches to tan, changed the societal norms. Tanning no longer just indicated a worker in the sun all day, but a person of leisure and wealth too. This was also in part of the relaxing of social norms for the style of clothing worn in that period to allow tanning.

It is, and has always been an unknown quantity.

Some people just glow and others don't, no matter how "beautiful" they are.

Some people hit a sweet spot in the viewers mind and others don't.

That's why in Hollywood and in print, they always do test shots and screen tests.

Some people just have that illusive, undefinable quality that the camera loves.

Magic is magic.

It's what makes life.....well, .....magical.

Besides the word "photogenic" is too mundane a word to describe this magic.

It's a word like pleasant. Has no impact or emotion behind it.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice full hooters, slim waist, long legs. Cut the head off when cropping. There you have it
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oy veh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to many anthropologists we are attracted to someone with symmetrical features for a mate. This is why someone who looks like Alfred E. Neuman doesn't get picked. Many animals, and I suspect humans too, have an aversion to a species member who looks different, who differs from the norm. So I would say that symmetrical features play a large role in who is thought of as photogenic.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-19-2011 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin