Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,779   Online: 1129

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There should be a wide variety of opinions on this question, and that seems to be true here. To me, "photogenic" isn't synonymous with "beautiful". There are people who definitely don't conform to a culture's norms of beauty who are easy to photograph so that a striking image - in one way or another - is more often the result. I think the comment above on "attitude" reflects this, and one important detail is the way the eyes and/or body language communicate emotion to the viewer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Agree with the dismissive replies. I do not know the true answer, but I, too, have often heard it had to do with symmetry (of course, an attractive symmetry) of features. A lot of people have one side of the face very different from the other side, and when observed from different points may or may not look attractive. Those I guess are the ones who" can't take a bad photo". Anthropologically speaking, symmetry, along with balance and coordination, produce subliminal clues that that person just might make a good breeding partner. So I guess having that person in your photographs guarantees interest?
    Happy Holidays!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Nice full hooters, slim waist, long legs. Cut the head off when cropping. There you have it
    You know some interesting guys, I'll give you that!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In the words of Peter Britt, photographer, in Southern Oregon in the 1800's (in reply to a complaint):

"Madam, if you wish a photograph of a beautiful face, you shall have to bring one."

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    In the words of Peter Britt, photographer, in Southern Oregon in the 1800's (in reply to a complaint):

"Madam, if you wish a photograph of a beautiful face, you shall have to bring one."

Vaughn
    "She had a face that looked like a bag of spanners"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    doubt it .it'ds the same as with charme you'lllose it the second youthought you hsd it !
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I think this is a good question, even though it does not lend itself to an easy answer.

In broad terms, it may be easier to answer/quantify as some of the posters have indicated. Things like shape, symmetry or bone structure are fairly simple to pick out as common attributes from a selection of portraits that we agree are 'photogenic.' But I believe that breaks down when we get to the specifics of an individual person.

As far as any individual is concerned, I agree with those who have said it comes from within the person. Whether you call it attitude or honesty, it is an elusive quality that some people just have.

It may instead reflect back on the viewer, and what they consider to be more representative of reality. From my own observations, I consider models to be generally at the upper end of the pretty/beautiful scale - but ultimately uninteresting. When I look at portraits by Shelby Lee Adams, I find the people may be lower on the pretty/beautiful scale, but they look far more interesting to me. (And by interesting, I mean people who have no pretension about who they are, and people that I would like to know.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to know if a person is photogenic you photograph them, it's the only way, that's why the movie industry have screen tests.
    Ben

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin