Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,508   Posts: 1,543,560   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Paypal and buyer/seller protection outside ebay

Not sure where to post this. It's about Paypal and seller/buyer protection. I'm unable to get this cleared out for myself. What happens if somebody transfers money to my paypal account for an item sold by me on a site that doesn't have agreements with paypal (say APUG), and then claims back his money on the basis of "item not received"? Suppose that for whatever reason I can't show paypal his signature for receiving the item, will I lose that money? Or will paypal tell the buyer that he should have bought through a paypal-affiliated site? And if paypal lets down the buyer, will his credit card company (if that's what his paypal account is coupled to) be able to reclaim the money no questions asked?

I've been wondering about this ever since I sold a 700 Euro lens to a US buyer on the RFF. The lens took long to arrive and the buyer (understandably) 'threatened' to open a paypal dispute to reclaim his money. In the end the lens arrived and all was well, but what if the dispute had come about? Would paypal have denied him a refund because RFF-ads don't include a dedicated, paypal-approved, shiny yellow/gold 'buy-it-now' button? Would his credit card company have come to his help if not paypal?

Basically my question is: how safe am I, as a bona fide seller, from fraudulent buyers, if I sell outside ebay? Paypal policy just isn't clear to me on this.

Thanks for any insight & sorry if this is not the right place for posting.

Sander

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ask paypal, they should have a better concept .
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... or ask Gandy and the others at RFF.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a camera through RFF, paid with Paypal, camera never arrived. Goodbye money.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Did you pay as gift or via regular payment? That surprises me. Was there tracking and signature?

I made a purchase via Paypal through a non-affiliated site like apug. The item arrived but did not match the description. It eventually led to a Paypal dispute and a return for a refund.

To the OP, PayPal has a lot of information online. I'd suggest reading the information they have posted on disputes, tracking, etc. There are a lot of special details and special cases to keep in mind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    I bought a camera through RFF, paid with Paypal, camera never arrived. Goodbye money.
    The same could be said of paying by cheque. It's not a Paypal specific problem.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    To the OP, PayPal has a lot of information online. I'd suggest reading the information they have posted on disputes, tracking, etc. There are a lot of special details and special cases to keep in mind.
    I read their terms, but you'd have to be a lawyer with ten years of paypal case experience to apply things to the (not so hypothetical) situation I outlined. Or I'm just too stupid, that could also be. Well alright, I *am* too stupid.

But to be honest I think that most people (think 99% or more) don't have a clue what they're getting into when dealing with paypal (as buyer or as seller). Now we have Norman who lost his money despite using paypal (sorry, that really sucks), and others who tell me to go ask elsewhere. Hmm, does anybody actually know this stuff?

Case: I sell lens on APUG. Buyer pays through paypal. Buyer claims item never arrived. Suppose I don't have proof of delivery that would stand up to paypal's scrutiny.

Q: Will paypal accept buyer's case? Or will his credit card company break in and reclaim the money?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The same could be said of paying by cheque. It's not a Paypal specific problem.
    What is specific to paypal is their buyer/seller protection program. Am i right to assume that it didn't kick in in Norman's case because he bought outside paypal's club of friends?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PayPal will probably want online viewable signature confirmation for anything over $500. Or at least that is what the required when I returned the item.

I don't know h

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sorry, not the best at posting via phone.

I don't know how this works when shipping to places where this service isn't an option.

Buyer/seller protection can apply to off eBay sales as well. From: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...nline_shopping

"1. Your order never arrives
    All you have to do is log in to your account and open a dispute to get the refund process started. And if you made the purchase on eBay, start here instead."

Now, how to protect yourself as a seller is elsewhere. Here is their summary of cases where sellers are and aren't covered: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...ion_learn_more

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin