Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,334   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you still use Film? Yes.

Do you Develope your own? Yes.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? While digital images can be extensively edited, especially if captured in RAW, film is easier to manage in the B&W that I prefer. Digital is convenient for snapshots, internet posting, and color.

Can you, do you use both? yes.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? yes.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Such mishaps may go unnoticed at the time of capture, and thus escape deletion. I make more mistakes in digital than on film.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? Large format film encourages careful initial capture rather than casual capture with hopes of making up for that in post processing. Large format film has a distinct quality advantage over affordable digital cameras. Digital is far more convenient.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Answers.

Quote Originally Posted by willy13664 View Post
    Do you still use Film? Yes
    Do you Develope your own? Yes
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Film is less precise, less perfect, more likelihood of surprise. Digital isn't bad, it's just another technology I can't afford.
    Can you, do you use both? I suppose that I could but I don't. Digital is not interesting to me.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? I could but I don't. A digital reproduction is not useful to me.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Yes, for good and for ill.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? In part because I can't immediately review what I did. In part because as a computer programmer for more than 30 years now, the last thing I want to do at home is sit in front of a computer screen. And, in part, because film can be manipulated in ways which do not provide entirely predictable outcomes.

Many Thanks in advance, you will be doing me a huge favour, I have some answers but the more the better.

Also feel free to add any questions I should be asking..........
    Please see answers in bold above.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13664 View Post
    Do you still use Film?
    yes

Do you Develope your own?
    yes

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film?
    too many things to mention, this has been discussed ad nauseum. In the end it's a matter of choice and, for some, necessity. For some it's enjoyment. For many of us, it's control of the entire workflow and complete ownership of the whole process. And ultimately, it's the individuality of the final print that holds so much of the value.

Can you, do you use both?
    Yes

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing?
    Sometimes.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?
    Not much difference in the capture phase, but happy accidents certainly do occur in the printing process.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?
    Again, this has been discussed in great length. Books could be written....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you Develop your own? No
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Digital is faster, performs better than film at higher ISO, easier to share, harder to maintain (have to periodically make a new backup), has lower quality projectors. Film is slower, harder to share, higher quality projection, better detail (at lower ISO).
    Can you, do you use both? Yes.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? I shoot slide film. Nobody makes reversal paper any more so they get scanned before printing.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? No. You can have a happy accident with either medium.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? It's what I grew up with. Film SLR cameras are generally less expensive than digital, so I can spend less money to get the control I want over the image. It makes me slow down because each shot costs. With Digital, the temptation is there to "spray and pray I get the shot." With film, not so much. Having said that, automation is useful on either platform.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film?
    yup

yes
    they are both the same .. the cost

yes
    yes

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?
    it is just as easy to make mistakes / accidents with film as it is with digital ...

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?
    film only feels different / clumsier because there
    are more steps to follow to get the negative, or later the print.
    and it only feels differently because people want it to feel differently.
    i could present a digital image i made and a similar film based image,
    and i am sure no one would be able to tell which was which ... we WANT it to be different, so it is.

welcome to apug
    and good luck with your project

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-27-2011 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you still use Film?Yes

Do you Develop your own?
    Not yet

-Film forces me to think BEFORE I shoot, which is about the best thing to do if one wants to learn photography. When I know I have just about 37 shots in a roll, I start avoiding the shots that don't seem interesting. With digital, more time is spent shooting than thinking.
    And of course, as others have mentioned, with film there's the advantage of archival.
    -Digital is good if you want to keep changing ISO for every shot or move immediately from B/W to color.

I can but don't. I shoot just film, and occasionally borrow a digital from friends to shoot an image or two.

I get prints AND scanned images. Prints are for me to see and show some close friends when we meet, scanned versions are for fb/flickr etc.

Nope. With film you always think before shooting so by the time you release the shutter, you know pretty well what you'll get.

-Feels different because it is.

-Doesn't feel worse at all, in fact film has a unique look to it that digitals don't.

-Feels better because of tangible results (prints and negatives or slides) and also the fact that there's an element of surprise involved from the time I shoot to the time I see the prints in hand.

-Precision I think has more to do with the superb build quality of cameras and lenses from older days than the ones in market today. It's great to know I can shoot a camera made in 1978 and still get results that are upto today's standards technically. With digital, it's rarely beyond half a decade.

-Clumsy: Occasionally, yes. If I've to stop and change rolls in broad daylight or dusty areas it bothers me a bit.

Cheers,
    Som

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film?

YES

YES

DIGITAL HAS THE ADVANTAGE WHEN MEETING DEADLINES. ITS' DISADVANTAGE IS IT AIN'T FILM.

I COULD BUT I DON'T

I SCAN ALL NEGATIVES IN PLACE OF CONTACT SHEETS THIS HELPS IN DECIDING WHAT TO PRINT.

NO. ART IS NOT MADE BY MISTAKES OR ACCIDENTS. IT IS INTENTIONAL.

NO

Welcome to APUG. I hope you find your answers.
    Bruce Osgood
    Everyone dies, so try and live a little first
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/camclicker/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? YES
    Do you Develope your own? YES
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? I prefer the process involved in generating a print via the traditional methods. Digital is good for 'newspaper' images - ones intended to be seen once and then discarded, but the final result from the traditional process is one that can be expected to outlive the photographer who created it. I believe that one of the problems in our world today is that we spend far too much time and effort creating disposable things, from digital images to paper plates to fast food meals. Past generations left the world a better place than they found it, building layers of civilization. This generation strives for sustainability where we leave it no worse than we found it. I find it it reassuring to know that I can create something that will outlast me, with tools that were created by a generation that came before me
    I use digital for snapshots and things like images to accompany internet postings, I use analog when I want to create something which is intended to last.
    I will scan prints to share on the internet, but a negative is an intermediate form which I do not consider worth scanning.

I do not believe that art is generated by mistake - art involves the artist sharing a vision with the observer, it is the design of the artist that makes something art. It is possible to generate a pretty image by happenstance, but I do not consider this art.

Many Thanks in advance, you will be doing me a huge favour, I have some answers but the more the better.

Each of us will have a different way of answering these questions. The only answers which should guide you should be your own.

Also feel free to add any questions I should be asking..........

Do you feel that photography has made oil painting obsolete? Is an oil painting less interesting if the artist did not compound his own pigments?
    There are many questions that one could ask about process, but in the end, it is the final image that counts. It doesn't matter if it was created through digital imaging, traditional photography, carving an image on stone, or the arrangement of discarded objects in a box. The question that is important is does the end result please you, and can you use it to express some idea to someone else - if so, it was successful

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do I still use film? YES
    Do I develop myself? YES
    Advantages/Disadvantages? I don't think in terms of advantages/disadvantages. I use the format that gives me the result I'm after.
    Do I use both? YES. I use film for B&W, digital for color
    Scan negs? YES but not always. I use scanning as a tool to explore possibilities in darkroom
    Mistake? NO. I don't believe in unintentional success. I plan and try to achieve my vision. Anything else is a failure in my own view.
    Worse/Better? Again, I don't think in those terms. I love B&W and film gives me the feel and the results I'm after. For color, digital works for me.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you Develope your own? Yes - B&W

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Dunno

Can you, do you use both? No, only film... can't afford to do both. I enjoy the whole process of shooting & developing film and making wet prints in a traditional darkroom, so I stick with that.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Nope... only scan to post images on the web.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Another dunno... there are plenty of chances to make mistakes with both. I am a firm believer in "Happy Accidents," but only as a great learning opportunity not an end result.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I just like the (film/darkroom) process. Photographing with a large format camera is a joy, frustrating as it can be, but a real joy. I can't afford and have no interest in digital photography.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin