Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,285   Online: 920

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? Yes.

Do you Develop your own? Yes, currently black and white only.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? The primary advantage of film is it gives me the best results, and it is much easier to store and organize. The disadvantage of film is that it is becoming expensive to use for photographs of low importance. The primary advantage of digital is how quick and inexpensive it is for lower quality results and how easy it is to share those results. It also makes cataloguing of results easier. The primary disadvantage of digital is the investment necessary to get the same results as my $50.00 film cameras.

Can you, do you use both? Film primarily. Digital for record shots that I intend to share electronically, and some snapshots.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Most of my printing is black and white, and done optically on silver paper. I do scan and have labs print colour on silver paper. For very special photographs, I have labs print them optically.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? For me, film is much more likely to produce art - whether due to conscious planning or happy accident. Most likely that is because I am much more likely to have a film camera at hand, and much more likely to want to use a film camera.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I have an infinity for film and I enjoy using it and it performs well for me. Using it is satisfying - I get joy from it. In comparison, digital gives me decent results when I use it for things that I ask it to do.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? I think that question would be answered by anyone on APUG by "yes," me included.

Do you Develop your own? Yes, all formats and both B&W and color.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Film cameras and equipment cost much less than the initial outlay for a digital professional camera. Also, I find working with film satisfies my artistic impulses better because it is infinitely more tactile and because I'm making all the artistic decisions. That said, digital is better for when I need to know that I "got the shot," and for color work. It's also more convenient and gives more versatility for the amount of equipment involved.

Can you, do you use both? Yes.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Yes. I use scans to post examples of my work online and to my web portfolio. I also use scans as digital contact sheets, to help me decide what to print optically and how much tweaking of the negatives I need to do in the darkroom.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Photography will always be a source of happy accidents. I'm inclined to say that more are possible with film because of the variable nature of organic causes, like film stocks, expiration and chemistry, but people tend to be more fearless with digital and using it to experiment in ways they may not be inclined to with film, since the feedback is immediate and they aren't wasting film and chemicals in doing so.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I have a love affair with film, but I also respect the advantages of digital. However, I don't think digital will ever truly replace film. I feel the best photographers will continue to use whichever method works best for the look they want at any given moment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you still use Film? YES

Do you Develope your own? YES (b&w)

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? I DONT THINK ABOUT IT. SOME TINGS NEED FILM? OTHERS CAN DO WITH DIGITAL.

Can you, do you use both? YES

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? YES, BUT A ENLARGING DARKROOM IS IN THE MAKING

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? NO

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? A PHOTOGRAPH ON FILM HAS BODY, DIGITAL DOES NOT EVEN HAVE WEIGHT.

mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I have an infinity for film ....
    That should be: "I have an affinity for film ...."
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? Yes
    Do you Develope your own? Yes, color and b&w
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? The current range of films offers a well composed palette of colors and tones. I like the choice of analog cameras better than what's offered in the digital world.
    Can you, do you use both? I use digital cameras in my line of engineering work, but privately I'm 100% analog.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Yes, for most of my color work. B&W I don't scan except for demonstration purposes.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? IMHO you can produce interesting results by accident but not art.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? No. I like analog cameras, film, processing and dark room work, and I like the results I get.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you still use...

Do you still use film? You can bet that I will be using film for a long time yet. I am currently using almost 95% black and white and the rest is color reversal.

Do you develop your own? I develop all of my black and white. Twelve months ago I was using between 5 and ten rolls of Kodachrome a month which was processed by Dwayne's. I send out my slide film at this time as the volume is quite low.

What are the advantages of digital and film? The main two advantages of digital are 1) instant gratification or the lack thereof and 2) ability to easily transmit images electronically. The advantage of analog is that it is a very mature medium and I like the look of a silver gelatine print.

Can you, do you use both. I use only analog except if I post an image on-line and then it is a scan of analog.

Do you use Film then scan negs before printing? No.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? First, I am not an artist. I am willing to call a screw-up a screw-up. Best results come from a tight process and proper technique.

Have you any other thoughts...? That's a loaded question designed to provoke an analog vs. digital discussion. As a current count, there have been 1,124,254 posts on this site. Feel free to browse around.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    still use film? Yes
    develop myself? BW- yes, color- no
    advantage/disadvantage? digi- speed film- permanence (we have family photo from the early 1900's displayed and still looking great)
    use both? film for my work, digi for snapshots and internet postings
    scan negs? no
    art by mistake? no
    different/worse,etc,? apples and oranges

Welcome to the site, good luck with your project

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My answers in bold:
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13664 View Post
    Do you still [sic] use Film? Yes
    Do you Develope [sic] your own? Yes
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? I don't know or care
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? No

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? I don't know

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? No

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you still use Film?
    Film is not central to photography, light sensitive materials are. I use gelatin-silver paper for photographs either directly from the camera, via a paper negative intermediary, or a film negative intermediary.

Do you Develope your own?
    Development of the latent image is a creative part of the photograph-making process. If I didn't do the development the results would not be fully my "own".

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film?
    Photographic processes (including film) use physical samples of subject matter to chemically alter sensitive surfaces and make pictures. Everything is real; nothing is virtual. Digital picture-making fashions only appearances. People wishing to encounter pictures which offer a dimension beyond appearance may find images touched by digital technology not worth looking at. A glib quote for you: If photography is pizza then digital is ordering pizza by telephone and having it delivered by television!

Can you, do you use both?
    Only photography. Digital is of no interest whatsoever.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing?
    I neither scan nor print to make photographs. I expose, develop, fix, wash , etc light sensitive materials to make pictures. The pictures proceed through the full cycle one at a time, in full, start to finish, by my own hand.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?
    I would not grant the premise that art emerges from mistake or accident. Presenting bloopers as art is too easily an exercise in self-indulgence, posturing, or pretention.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?
    Making pictures by photography is a uniquely singular process. Photographs incorporate a special relationship to subject matter and therefore offer a special relationship to the alert viewer. Everything else is traditional picture-making, either by hand, or mechanised in the case of digital.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Do you still use Film?

Yes

Do you Develope your own?

Yes

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film?

It's all about the image : both methods have strengths and weaknesses - neither is more "valid". Digital offers the advantage of getting the image out quickly, and ease of adjustment. "Film" has the advantage of greater dynamic range and perhaps "artistic control". Both workflows can produce junk or masterpieces.

Can you, do you use both?

I use both.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing?

I sometimes scan film negs to produce enlarged negs for contact processes.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?

No.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?

"Film" (silver halide in this context) has me involved in every step of the process, particularly in the case my own emulsion coatings (sometimes on hand-made paper) - I truly own the result. The ease of digital post-processing got me in the habit of being lazy/sloppy, film keeps me honest and aware
    Last edited by Hexavalent; 12-30-2011 at 09:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more meandering commentary :)
    - Ian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin