Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,364   Online: 1019

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13664 View Post
    Do you still use Film?
    Oh sure I am an APUGER
    Do you Develope your own?
    Since I only use color print film I don't do C41 processing but I do make my own prints using darkroom and RA-4 process
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film?
    For me using film I don't have to buy new camera. I already have good film camera. There is no digital projector that can project an image of equal quality as a 35mm slide (digital projector currently limited to about 2MP). For small side print like 4x6 and 5x7 there is no digital printer can deliver as high resolution (dpi) as printing optically from a negative.
    On the digital side there are many advantages. Instant result which is the greatest advantage in my opinion (I learned to do my own darkroom work because I couldn't wait to have my film developed). For low light digital is great as there are cameras that can deliver good result with ISO as high as 6400. It's easier to to have full control of the process with digital because with film you lose a lot of controls if you don't do the processing yourself. You're not limited to 36 frames before reload (there are ways to get more than 36 frames before reload with film but those method are cumbersome). Digital is much easier for archival purposes because I can keep a digital files definitely. With film as careful as I tried my film do get dirty.
    Can you, do you use both?
    I do use both but my digital camera is an el cheapo so I do not have serious digital camera so for more serious shooting I currently must use film.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing?
    I scan all my films but not for the purpose of printing. I make prints optically and in my darkroom. I scan my film to see what I have on those negatives.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?
    No and I actually hate happy accident. I don't want result good or bad that was not my intention. I am happy if the result turned out exactly as I thought it would.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?
    No.

Many Thanks in advance, you will be doing me a huge favour, I have some answers but the more the better.

Also feel free to add any questions I should be asking..........
    Why do you ask?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see that your post starting this thread is still your only post on APUG, but I'll bite anyway.

Do you still use Film? Yes

Do you Develope your own? B&W, yes. Color, no.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? For me, film is more fun. I feel like I can say, "I did this." Digital is fast, but seems disposable to me. It does work well for my fast moving toddler, though. In reality, I've gotten my film shots developed sooner than I've gotten around to downloading the digital ones from the camera. Main advantage of digital for me - I can download them while my toddler is climbing on me. It's tough to do darkroom stuff while he's even in the house. I can produce a B&W print of which I'm proud much more easily in the darkroom than on the computer.

Can you, do you use both? yes

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? nope - got a darkroom and know how to use it

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? not really. Larger film does make me slow down and think more about how to do it right. I have plenty of mistakes in both, but I don't usually call those art.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I've been using it long enough that I know what I'll get. I know that with digital, too, but I like my time in the darkroom. Film is tangible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use film and I will continue to use film as long as there is film to use. Even then, I am considering the option of making my own films or photosensitive materials.

I own more than 100 cameras, from Baby Brownies all the way up to Graflex Super-D.
    Two or three 35mm cameras for daily use and several collectibles. I have a Rolleiflex, a Yashica and a few other TLR type cameras. Again, a few for daily use and the others are collectible.

I own exactly one digital camera. A pocket-sized Canon Digital Elph. 2.1 MP Point-and-Shoot. Bought it in 2000. Still use it today. Still works almost as well as brand new.
    I use it for snapshots, for posting photos via the internet and e-mail and I sometimes use it as a preview camera. (Like the way pros used to shoot Polaroids to preview their shots before burning a roll of film.)
    I'm sure that I'll get another digital camera, some day but I'm not in a hurry. I like digital but I like film better.

I develop my own B/W film and print my own B/W prints. I shoot 90% B/W. Although I am capable of developing color, I prefer to send it out.
    I would need to buy color chems, paper and supplies. I would need to get a set of good color filters for my enlarger or else buy a color head for it. This is money I prefer not to spend. I like black and white just fine, thank you.

There are times when color film is called for. Shooting pictures at sunset or of leaves in the fall probably wouldn't be the same without color film. Still, I just LIKE black and white. It teaches me to SEE.
    When I don't have color to use as a crutch, I have to look at details in order to make a good photo.
    I have to look at the dark and the light and the relationship between them in order to capture the texture and shape of my image. It forces me to deconstruct the picture before I even raise the camera to get the shot.
    Then, when I shoot color, I feel like the world has opened up to a new way of seeing things.

Shooting black and white film teaches you to become a better photographer.
    Even if you plan to shoot digital for the rest of your life, I still suggest you get a manual film camera and shoot with it for at least a year. Don't touch your digital unless you really need it. At the end of that year, I think you'll find that your photography skills have improved exponentially.

Let me close with this:
    You could go to the store, buy a frozen dinner, pop it in the microwave and have your meal in 2:30 but wouldn't you really like a nice home cooked meal? You get to pick the ingredients. You get to choose the spices. You get to choose how much meat or veggies go into the soup. You get to make the meal the way YOU want it, from scratch? Your friends and family benefit in many ways from the meal that you cooked in your own kitchen with your own two hands.

Say the same thing about photography. You could use a digicam and snap off a hundred pictures in 2:30 but wouldn't you really like to make a nice photo the way YOU want it, from scratch? You get to pick the materials, the process and produce the final product. Your friends, your family and your audience benefit from the work you produced with your own two hands.

Photography is NOT about the camera. It's NOT about the film. It's NOT about the computer or the hard drive or the inkjet printer.
    I dare say it's really not even about the image, itself. The essential thing about photography is that somebody put his hand to the task of creating something for the benefit of another.

Photography is about CRAFTSMANSHIP!

Until you have had film and photographic paper in your hand and used them to produce a finished product, I don't think you have experienced the essence of what it means to be a craftsman.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Why do you ask?
    Seconded. Answers abound. Curious for the purpose of their need. Do you shoot film? Do you process your own? Are these answers to aid in a decision you will be making? For an assignment of some sort?

Again, just curious.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    On the off-chance you are studying social research methods, this question is poorly worded:

Do you still use Film?
    Putting 'still' into the question loads it negatively and makes it seem that it's some sort of effort to shoot film or somehow arcane and unprecedented. It's rather like meeting an old school friend ten years on and finding out he's into cycling like he was at school: do you still do that? This type of negative questioning gets people's backs up and makes them defensive. Why shouldn't I do that? What's the other option? Etching?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you still use Film?
    Do you Develope your own?
    Can you, do you use both?
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing?

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?

Many Thanks in advance, you will be doing me a huge favour, I have some answers but the more the better.

Also feel free to add any questions I should be asking..........
    Do you still beat your wife ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

I use both.

Do you still use Film? YES, 35mm only.

Do you Develope your own? No.

Advantage Digital: photo to review time, learning curve, cost of processing
    Advantage Film: anticipation of results, thoroughness of thought into the process, cost of equipment

Can you, do you use both? YES, mostly digital for anything moving.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? No. Lab developed to CD, I review and get lab prints of what I like/want/need.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Yes, but only because most people look at digital and immediately dispose of things that are not as intended. I am also guilty.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I prefer film when shooting stationary/landscape type shots because I started with film. Shooting children's play with film would be folly. Digital is just plain faster.

Also feel free to add any questions I should be asking.......... No, but here is a question for you. Could you let us know how you used this information and the results you distilled from it, please?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you still use Film? Yes for my personal work.
    Do you Develope your own? YES!
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? QUALITY B+W image sort of a real insturment vs digital insturmemt feel as it pertains to music... digital pianos sound just fine... except when listening to the finest music in the finest surroundings.
    Can you, do you use both? Yes I do... film is no longer profitable, and everything I do for pay ends up in digital form anyway.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? No... no dual path for me yet.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? If you are sloppy yes...

I was writting an eassy on this very thing in me head in Church today... more to come from me... I am drafting an editorial on the subject.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you still use Film? Yes.

Do you Develop your own? Yes, I process all my own black and white, and sometimes my own color.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Digital gives you more rapid turnaround and the ability to preview shots at minimal expense. Film is much more permanent and can always be scanned if a digital file is needed.

Can you, do you use both? Yes, I use both. Digital is mainly for snapshots; for a long time I used a DSLR for product shots. At the moment I rely on my phone's built-in digital camera (HTC EVO 4g) and do not own or use a DSLR.

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Only if I need an electronic copy for some reason like posting online or emailing. Although I have put a lot of time and effort into learning to make good "monochrome" inkjet prints, I really prefer optical prints to all other methods.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? No. Digital and film both require the photographer to understand the process to get the desired results. Digital, however, never has that great feeling of KNOWING you got the shot, since you can just check the preview and delete, reshoot.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? Film requires more methodical work to produce good results. That doesn't mean that someone can't work slowly and methodically with a digital camera (I certainly did when I was doing product work), but it is much easier to just hold down the button at 8 frames per second and be forced to edit through a thousand pictures. Film won't let you do that and this is a big part of my preference for film. You might sum it up with the phrase "quality over quantity."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The subject line of this thread says this is for a college project.

I wonder if OP ever came back to read the result. His post count is still ONE.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin