Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,551   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help! I need as many answers as I can get to a few questions for a college project!

Do you still use Film?
    Do you Develope your own?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film?
    Can you, do you use both?
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing?

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?

Many Thanks in advance, you will be doing me a huge favour, I have some answers but the more the better.

Also feel free to add any questions I should be asking..........

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do you still use Film? Yes.
    Do you Develope your own? Yes, black and white only.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? The primary advantage of film is archivalness; the primary disadvantage of digital is lack of the same.
    Can you, do you use both? Digital just for snapshots.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? No, all of my printing is done optically on silver paper.
    Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Yes. Can you even have a "happy accident" with digital? (I don't know, I'm asking...)
    Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? Maybe it's because I work with computers, but I just think film has more 'magic'.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi welcome to Apug!

Some questions for you, do you use film?

What is the angle of your paper?

There are 50k+ Apug mbrs, all use(d) film
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? Yes (APUG is the ANALOG Photography Users Group)

Do you Develope your own? Yes - B&W which is my primary film medium

Digital may provide faster results; shorter workflow to the web or other e-media - and cheaper per shot after surviving the initial gear purchase
    Film, especially B&W, is more easily archived, offers higher affordable resolution, and to me, a more interesting workflow

Can you, do you use both? Yes

Not generally, as my serious prints are optical on gelatin silver paper

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident?
    Hmmm - that could be a real bag of worms, but my gut sense is yes, although I try to be precise and consistent which would reduce that likelihood.

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier?
    Many of the differences I feel are due more to the equipment I use than the medium. My digi-stuff is relatively recent, with full and exotic automatic capabilities, most of my film shooting is done with older, fully manual cameras - or at most auto-exposure. Work with the latter tends to lead to a slower, more thoughtful approach to my photography

Hope that helps.

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? Of course, this is APUG!!
    Do you Develop your own? Yes, B&W at the moment
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Distribution and speed make digital useful, and Quality and enjoyability make film useful
    Can you, do you use both? Yes.
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Sometimes, but not always.
    Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? Only because I use it more, and certainly for my own creative personal stuff I use it mostly.
    Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I mostly shoot Medium & Large format - and those systems are often big and manual/prone to human error, but deliver astonishing picture quality when used well.

Cheerio, Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film? Of course! I'd say 80% black and white, 20% colour (mostly positive, occasionally negative film)

Do you Develope your own? Yes - I develop all my own black and white, but colour goes to the local lab

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? I have never had a digital camera (other than my iphone) but in my opinion it's useful in having a quick turnaround, being able to learn new techniques (like flash photography) quickly, and there's no intermediate step between taking the photo and sharing with others. Disadvantages - too much chimping leads to not being in the moment and missing other photos, too many photos mean dealing with storage and other workflow problems, the cameras don't seem as interesting/fun to use as older film cameras. Also, deleting perceived "bad" shots doesn't leave any time for reflection as to why it may be bad, or to the realization that it's an interesting photograph anyway. As for film, advantages are that one can try a variety of cameras/lenses/film for a specific look, working in the darkroom is fun, being in the moment when taking photos, making each shot count. Disadvantages -- the time between capture and development (and then printing) can be long, requires scanning to share with folks in a digital world, difficult to find film or chemicals at the last minute or in emergencies, too many cameras to use!

Can you, do you use both? Only film cameras, iphone used for snapshots

Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? Scans are only for sharing on the net or by email, all prints are made optically in a darkroom.

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? I think there are just as many happy accidents with digital, but they may tend to get deleted!

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? Shooting film is fun. It's different from digital, I don't have to spend hours in front of the computer in a digital darkroom. I have to rely on myself rather than the camera to produce good results. Film cameras often draw reactions from people -- good and bad, but interesting nonetheless.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still use Film?
    Yes

Do you Develop your own?
    Yes, all my B&W, some color

For digi, seeing an immediate result is nice sometimes. Film lends itself to working more carefully, which can result in better photos.

Can you, do you use both?
    yes, and yes, but 99% of my "serious" work is film.

Yes, for color work. Occasionally with B&W.

Not really. A lot of people may associate film with an uncertainty with "will this come out?" questions, because they don't understand the process and there are a lot of hazards to overcome between making the exposure and ending up with a print. But those things are largely controllable. Some of the hazards, for example, over-exposed highlights are hazards for film and digital, but digital allows immediate review and perhaps correction. Those kinds of technical issues don't often result in a "happy" accident.

Happy accidents such as a person's expression, or some other dynamic occurrence in the image can happen equally with film and digital photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you still use Film?
    Yes, Mostly black and white.

Do you Develope your own?
    Yes, I do develop b&w myself, send color films to the labs.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? Can you, do you use both?
    I use both; digital when immediacy is required otherwise I go with film. I use digital for flash work, I test the light and exposure then switch to film for shooting.
    IMO advantages or disadvantages of film and digital media often narrows down to the speed of producing the final image, because the rest, I believe, are trade offs.
    In digital medium, the results are almost instantaneous (not instant, a fine print requires adjusting). Analog medium requires more time, It needs meditation.
    I believe digital and analog are different animals, you can't compare watercolor to oil painting.

I scan film for online sharing and creating digital negatives for alternative processes. (e.g. cyanotype, vandyke brown)
    When it comes to printing I am more on the hybrid side. I value analog prints more than the digital prints.

No. In every medium there is a chance of producing a happy accident.
    A correct exposure and development won't result in a mistake/happy accident.
    Only faulty, failing or expired emulsion, wrong operation or development might cause unexpected results, and not necessarily something desired.

It is different for sure, but not necessarily better, worse, precise or clumsier, just different beasts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've moved this thread from the "Feedback and Discussion" which is meant for APUG itself to Ethics and Philosophy. Seems a better place for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you still use Film? - Oh, yes
    Do you Develope your own? -Yes, all of it
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Digital and Film? - I enjoy the final prints and don't really like the digital process
    Can you, do you use both? - Just film
    Do you use Film then scan the negs before printing? - Only silver based prints

Do you think that film offers more chance of producing art by mistake / happy accident? - Mistakes might put me on another track, but I don't try to disguise my mistakes as art

Have you any other thoughts as to why film feels different/worse/better/more precise / clumsier? I get better prints and I don't have to rely on batteries

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin