Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,765   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I'm interested in what you think or feel about this image.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...1&cat=2&page=1

Please read my last comments. What does this photo say to you? Maybe it says nothing, maybe it does. Whatever it says to you, or makes you think about I'm interested in hearing it. Possibly all that interests you is the tonal range or some other technical aspect, that's ok, let me hear about it.

I hope I'm not being to presumptious in asking for your time and personal comments.

Probably it's best to confine this discussion to this forum rather than the gallery to keep Sean's bandwidth usage down.

Thanks,

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric I think what you have capture is a beautiful "prompt".

In that I mean that it is a picture that brings back memories that the viewer has about visiting similar places. The "While I was there ... " paragraph really shows your awareness of the stories unfolding whilst you were there. I think each viewer would / will remember and feel their own memories from looking at your picture.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What memories/feelings does it bring back for you?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ooooo that's asking for confessions but I'm game.

A mixture of initially peace and tranquility, maybe even a feeling of belonging.

Then looking at it for a while memories come back behind the memories (if that makes sense). Feelings of lonliness, wanting to know the why's (does god exist, if so why is there so much surrering, why the .... do you forsake us).

I think untimately it makes me remember stages of my life I have been through and the times I have sought answers. Maybe that's why I kind of like going into churches but no longer feel comfortable being in there. The only way I can describe the feeling is what I felt when I use to go pot-holing, being there was interesting and a challenge but the feeling of fresh air when I came out was wonderful.

I guess this picture works on many levels.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks TP, for sharing.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This picture is quite beautiful, because you captured the quiet atmosphere of this chapel. I feel like I can smell the place. Church was not a big part of my growing up, so my personal memories and feelings may be different than someone who spent more time in church. But, I don't want to disturb anybody there... do you feel that you intruded on this place at all? I don't get the feeling that you did, because it is such a sensitive image. I'm bringing my own baggage here... I often feel that I'm intruding if I visit a church like this. Having said that, I usually find myself feeling quite peaceful after being in a place like this, and I think your photograph is evocative of a peaceful feeling...

Perhaps you should explore more places like this...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric, I find this most interesting - on the first level, I have done the interior of a church very recently - think I may have posted the image in the gallery. The church was empty, sans myself so aside from the feeling of excitement to work inside with no one there, I began to look around. Now, I am prone to immediately start to listen, there was an old pipe organ, for the voices then as I looked from the front to the rear I tried to 'see' all the people that had been there. What were the smells, what did they wear, because of the area I know they were hard working peoples.

From your image I think I would take a different view, was in Chiamyo, NM last month - this is were many come for 'holy' dirt that cures. Have been there before, and each time it was like you said - people come and go, then slip away. Your image is a snapshot (and no I don't mean like a snap shot, but a point in time) of these peoples lives. They felt compelled to be there at that moment, something pulled them to that place and for the split second in time you were able to capture the moment. Not unlike when young Mr. Kennedy stepped out to salute his fathers casket, or the many other 'moments' that have been so powerfully captured by the medium.

Did not really look to see what the technical aspects of the image are, just the fact that it was a moment in time...oh, and while not really religous by nature, a church without people is just a building, the people ARE the church..but that is just the way I feel.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    I like your photo a lot and think it gains greatly from the people in it. So often interiors of churches seem to have no people in them at all which seems (to me) to negate what they are about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing I love about this image is that it is a church IN USE.

In Europe and America, the "scenic" cathedrals and churches tend to be used less. They always seem filled with tourists. York Minster in England is a good example of this.

The first time I ever saw a church like this in USE was here in Tucson, in fact it was 3 years ago to the day, when people came up from all over the area, even Mexico to leave prayers at San Xavier. They pinned them to an effigy of San Xavier on this day, the Day of the Dead which is sacred among Mexican Catholics.

And it really brought home the "soul" of the building. It wasn't just a chunk of neat architecture, it was a working church.

To me this is something really wonderful when you enter Latin churches here. They are used. In Seattle I could walk into St. Marks or the Chapel of St. Ignatius Loyola and never see a soul praying. Yet, in Latin America, I would probably hard pressed in many places to NOT see people using the church.

Great photo.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think its very beautiful Eric. Church interiors are one of my favorites, whether a large cathedral or small country sanctuary. Each one is unique - no two are alike.

On the technical side, at first I expected to see it was large format. Large format is typically what I see being used in this situation. But low and behold, its 35mm. That speaks very highly for you technique, both on your part and the materials you used. I bet the print will be scrumptious.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin