Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,487   Online: 1104

Shooter
    Medium Format

? shutter release button depressed long for slow shutter speeds in 200 series Hassey

I am using my 203FE and 205FCC in manual mode using the lens C shutter instead of the focal plane shutter. I set the camera shutter speed ring to "C", set the mode to "M" and set the shutter speed using the appropriate lens setting. I am also using Winder Fs on each camera along with a release cable.

In testing the set up with the film back off, I notice that when I just quickly depress and release the cable at let's say 1 second, the lens shutter does indeed stay open for 1 second but the focal plane shutter quickly opens and closes, effectively reducing film exposure to fractions of a second. If I want to keep the film properly exposed, I need to keep my fingers depressing the cable for a time longer than the shutter speed set on the lens.

Is the the normal function of the focal plane shutter, meaning I need to keep holding the shutter release longer, or does the focal plane shutter retract once the back is put on the camera if it is set in the "C" setting?

This is the same way a 500 series Hasselblad works. You have to hold the shutter open for longer exposures or the rear doors in the camera body close before the shutter finishes its cycle. One of the odd quirks of the Hasselblad system. It does take a little getting used to.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What he said ^
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin