Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,882   Online: 962

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey guys

Well, I thought "sod it", and I took the leap! I've just bought a 501C/M with a recently serviced 80mm CB lens, WLF, strap etc for £1400. I am yet to have it delivered! (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2807896550...84.m1423.l2649)

I have taken on board all the points and acknowledge the risks with eBay, though I have to say that to date I have always chosen sellers carefully and have not yet been stung. Given my location and the seeming lack of second hand places to buy these from round here in Derby (I even bought the Ad-Mag and Derby Telegraph, just to check) eBay is my best option. I tried ffordes.co.uk and a retailer in Paris but it's the usual thing - a shop will always add a few hundred more. I realise you get warranty for a month or two or maybe 6 if you're lucky, but I've sold almost everything I own to buy this so every peeny counts.

I've also bought another standard 50mm prime for my Nikon F5 with lens hood for those more rapid pace requirements. Besides, I have about £100 of 35mm film in my fridge! I just need to get this flash issue sorted (see my other related post about a flash that works with F5 and Hassie) because I do like a bit of -1 fill in flash, just to brighten the mince pies a bit :-)

When the beast arrives I'll let you all know :-) I will no doubt upload pictures of me with my new posession just for vanity sake. I am so excited about owning a Hasselblad I really can't explain it. I have wanted one since I was a teenager (I'm 35 now!).
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll enjoy the Hassy. Congratulations. Got a tripod? If not, get one ASAP... and a Hassy quick release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RE: alternatives to eBay- You _will_ be wanting lots of additional Hasselblad accessories in the future. You'll benefit from an additional back, for instance. Maybe you could consider putting in a WTB ad here on APUG or on other boards? Another thing I occasionally do is post a WTB ad in the local free newspaper or on Craig's List. You might be surprised to find that there are local people interested and willing to sell you stuff but who haven't wanted to take the time or effort to advertise... It's also a good way to meet local photographers , and/or take a trip to a nearby city. In 20 years I have bought very little photo gear from a retail establishment (other than supplies).

Keith Ostertag
    Keith Ostertag
    keitho at strucktower dot com

Good catch! Congratulations and enjoy your new camera. Give your cache of 35mm some 120 roll film friends to keep them company in the fridge, too.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Referencing the flash, there's no big deal unless you want TTL for the Nikon. The Hasselblad doesn't have an accessory shoe so it may be easier to get a bracket that will hold the flash and mount to the bottom of the camera "L bracket". The 'Blad uses a standard PC cord
    Flash could be as simple as a Vivitar 283 or 285. The 285 has the ability to reduce the power of the flash. THe 283 has an optional module that does the same.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might consider several backs.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW in my opinion you made a good decision. I enjoy having a large Hasselblad system with a complete array of lenses, and a plethora of backs, finders and various accessories. I agree with other posters that you are going to be going through a learning and familiarization period. The key to developing a good respect for Hasselblad and what it affords you is to give yourself time to become comfortable in using it, and that does take time. It will not happen overnight. A Nikon SLR and a Hasselblad are completely different animals. The only thing that remains the same are photographic fundamentals. The equipment demands a totally different technique, more disciplined, more exacting. I think the use of a Hasselblad generally makes most users better photographers over time, similar to what large format users experience. It is exquisite equipment and a joy to use in my judgement. I hope you are pleased with your new gear after you receive it and that it meets all of your expectations. I would recommend a prism as well as others have pointed out, I use a PME III with Acute Matte grid and split and like the combo a lot. I would recommend a quick focus handle for your action shots with the children.

I think we would be interested to read any opinions you may have after you've run a few rolls. That may help others in the future whom are in a similar decision making process. The system will grow on you and you will probably be hungry for the next component before long. Enjoy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Ted,

You're welcome to fondle my Hasselblad kit anytime.....though I'm a bit farther than 30 miles from Derby!

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, if you like pinholes, you could also take a look at this one:
    http://www.kellyangood.co.uk/hasselblad.html
    (sorry guys, I couldn't resist)
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Hey guys

Well, I thought "sod it", and I took the leap! I've just bought a 501C/M with a recently serviced 80mm CB lens, WLF, strap etc for £1400. I am yet to have it delivered! (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2807896550...84.m1423.l2649)

I have taken on board all the points and acknowledge the risks with eBay, though I have to say that to date I have always chosen sellers carefully and have not yet been stung. Given my location and the seeming lack of second hand places to buy these from round here in Derby (I even bought the Ad-Mag and Derby Telegraph, just to check) eBay is my best option. I tried ffordes.co.uk and a retailer in Paris but it's the usual thing - a shop will always add a few hundred more. I realise you get warranty for a month or two or maybe 6 if you're lucky, but I've sold almost everything I own to buy this so every peeny counts.

I've also bought another standard 50mm prime for my Nikon F5 with lens hood for those more rapid pace requirements. Besides, I have about £100 of 35mm film in my fridge! I just need to get this flash issue sorted (see my other related post about a flash that works with F5 and Hassie) because I do like a bit of -1 fill in flash, just to brighten the mince pies a bit :-)

When the beast arrives I'll let you all know :-) I will no doubt upload pictures of me with my new posession just for vanity sake. I am so excited about owning a Hasselblad I really can't explain it. I have wanted one since I was a teenager (I'm 35 now!).
    Good for you!

A wise move!

Enjoy!!

Do not be afraid to ask us your questions!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin