Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,110   Posts: 1,612,843   Online: 1176

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This has turned into quite an amusing post! Hasselblads and chicks! Love it. Liking the attached photos too.

SafetyBob - to answer your question - my pursuit was extensive, lasting about 5 weeks. I watched dozens of Blads on eBay to see what they went for, for varying models. I also researched the model history from HasselbladHistory.co.uk (or whatever it is). I wanted one from the 1990's onwards, and obviously mid 00's the H system came in. So I wanted a 501CM ideally as they were made 97-05 - ironic that mine ended up being a 2000 model.

It's then a toss up of lens against body. My view was that I've used Nikon for years, and even a "budget" Carl Zeiss lens is still going to be in a league of their own, even if they're not in the same leage as the CFi lenses, that are scientifically corrected I gather for very precise (military, scientific) use. So I was conciously looking for either a 501CM or the slightly older 503CW (which I think were late 80's to late 1990's?). As I wasn't too bothered about an auto-wind feature etc, I figured a newer 501CM was probably a better way to go than a slightly more feature rich but older 503CW.

So I checked fffordes.co.uk, DalePhotographic, CalumetPhotographic and loads of other retailers who sell used equipment, including one shop in Paris who's name I now forget. I also considered an import from the USA, where they sell for much less, but you'll expect to pay 30% import duty at Customs. It's the usual thing though - a shop will have bought the camera at a trade rate and then sell it for slightly more than the private sale value. Every penny counted for me - I had a very strict budget of £1500. All te shop version were nearer to the £2K mark, give or take.

The guy I bought mine from ('camera_watch' on eBay) has a lot of Hasselblad gear - I nearly bought a 503CX that he was listing for £1200, but it didn't look like it was in quite as good nick as the 501CM, and it was older. So I thought I'd get the better body and then upgrade the lens in the future, should I ever need to and once I know for sure "Hasselblad is for me". No point in investing in something that I can't maintain. I might add that the lens was recently serviced, which was another big pull for me, knowing it was serviced, cos having that done isn't cheap. I am pleased at the amount of features for the V range but horrified at the cost of everything - even a lens hood is £40+!

To answer your question, a 501CM in good condition with a CB or CF lens should be between £1300 (CB) - £1500 (CF) as of Jan 2012. One with a C lens - around £1100+\-. A body on it's own - between £600-£850, in my experience (I considered buying all the bits seperately and budiling it that was but was advised against that - see the other thread in my profile where I posed the question - in fact, look at all of my recent posts - they all relate to seeking advice with the purchase I made). The CFi lenses are a lot so expect to pay £2K plus for a good body and a CFi lens. That is about as far as my expertise in my new area of photography expands to. I am sure others can help.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations!
    I bought exactly the same camera a year and a half ago. Since that time, I work almost exclusively with it, even though I carry my Nikon FA always in my car.
    Probably, you will also follow the following steps:
    1.- Buying a good spot meter. I bought a Sekonik 558.
    2.- Buying a good tripod. I bought a Manfrotto 190XB with the 804RC2.
    3.- Buying a CF 150 lens for portraits. I did.
    4.- Buying a CF 50 for landscapes. I did.
    5.- Buying two more A12 magazines. I still have to buy one.
    I bought everything second hand, but obviously; it is a lot of money. So, you are just starting to invest in your equipment.
    I changed the way I take photos. Now, I go alone and work slowly, trying to take only good images. I already have made tests in order to know how to develop TMY with HC110 (E) for N, N-1 and N+1. Now, I am doing more landscapes than ever. As I have two magazines, I measure the contrast of the scene and work whit N and N-1 Zone System developer times.
    I have to say that I have improved the quality of my photos. I wish you will do it too.
    Good luck,
    Henry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the rundown of your experience Ted. I will look at your other threads to see what info and advice others have given to you. Really appreciate your info on the models.....always nice to know what the choices are and why.

Henry, since I have an FA and have started to use it more than my other bodies recently, I appreciate your words too. I have just about started drumming up my developing stuff for an experiment of N+1 and N-1. Been so busy at work though, I haven't had much time to play with cameras much.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted, just have a look at the prices of recent top-of-the-line AFS-Primes. Most of them are not too far from what you pay for Hasselblad lenses. There simply is no second best choice for the Hassi.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    All

I am happy to say I am now the proud owner of a 501C/M Hasselblad with 80mm Planar CB Carl Zeiss lens :-)

It arrived today and seems to be in great condition. Cost me £1400. I have had a hold and a play and love the feel of it already. As soon as I picked it up it screamed "quality, sturdy" at me. Looking down the viewfinder for the first time was quite an experience - it looks amazing with the Acute Matte D WLF. Though this "left is right, right is left" business will take some getting used to!

Below is a picture of me with my new prized posession. Strange how life works - a thief walks off with nearly all of my Nikon kit and the end result is I am now a Hasselblad owner. I can't wait to get some film and shoot a few scenes.

:-)

I say again - thanks to everyone who has spent so much time advising me and guiding me through this bewildering experience of moving from 35mm to MF (note - I still have one Nikon F5 and I just bought a new 50mm prime for it, so I'll be multi-format now).

Attachment 43977
    it' the only camera with ahich i an vhange lenses one-handed!!!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just joined the Hassy gang as well. I traded a black Nikon F with motordrive, Nikon FA with Motordrive, a baby graflex 2x3 for a 500cm with 2 A12 backs, original 80mm planar and a few accessories. I'm happy. Got rid of a bunch of things I wasn't using for something I will.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hassy's and women. Yep. It works. Thanks Sirius. I'm having trouble focusing, I think this screen is super dark. I'll try a different one for sure before I give up. Which would you recommend - a BGN Acute Matte, or a Beattie Interscreen Standard in EX condition? Same price. Sorry to railroad your thread! I'll happily start another if this is too off topic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 387876_628564858943_12201791_33559527_1861556455_n.jpg   Nikiweb.jpg  
    Last edited by mudman; 01-11-2012 at 09:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin