Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,238   Online: 782

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yashicamat closeup lenses. Which lens is which?

I have a pair of Rollei closeup lenses for my Yashica. One looks like a single lens, the other is 'chunkier' so I assume it's a double or more.

My question is, which fits on the taking lens and which is for the viewfinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thicker is for the viewing lens, it is made like this in order to correct the parallax, take care for the correct orientation of this particular lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you John - a really useful tip for me, too.

I've recently acquired a Rolleiparkeil 1 which has three lenses. Two appear identical but there is a thicker one with a red dot on the lens barrell. I'm presuming that the other two are identical and, therefore, interchangeable....??
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee, I have both the sets of Yashica (not Rollei) close-up and tele lenses. Each are marked with 'Taking' or 'Viewing'. Have never
    seen red dots or unmarked ones. Will check at next camera show.
    Best regards,
    /Clay
    Last edited by Clay2; 01-09-2012 at 12:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Conventionally (as in all those I have seen...) the red dot goes uppermost on the viewing lens element so that the prism effect goes the right way. The simple closeup lenses have no specific orientation. Useful things - I keep a +3 set on the strap of my Yashicamat for the odd closeup. The only problem is that you lose the option of a filter.

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks GrahamP.

To summarise, then, I should put one of the "simple close-up lenses" on each of the viewing and taking lenses and then put the parallax lens (red dot uppermost) on the viewing lens? If this isn't the case, can someone please advise.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's fantastic and thank you so much for the instructions. I don't mind experimenting but having the information to hand "up front" saves a lot of wated time, effort and film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the ones intended for the Yashicas come as two part sets - prism/closeup, and a separate closeup lens. The Rollei approach makes sense if you want the option of adjusting the camera height to correct the parallax. Then you would just use two closeup lenses. But 'paramender' style devices for the 45mm or so offset are not common.

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All very interesting and thanks for the information. I have a cheap Bay 1 +1 set, "OMAX" for which the thinner piece is marked "Taking." After reading this thread, I tried rolling the viewing lens along and it does indeed appear to have some prismatic component. I don't see a red dot, but it looks as though it wants to be placed so the "OMAX" on the front reads correctly; e.g., right side up. It does appear to have two elements and I see an asymmetrical/tilted line internally, so I guess it's not just sloppy manufacturing.

Thanks,

The ancient and still learning DaveT

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin