Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 930

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 7 + Flash

Hey guys a friend recently handed me down his Sunpak auto 433AF flash, however I have never used a flash before. As I understand I can set the shutter to 125 and set my flash on one of the 3 auto features giving me my aperture. In this case lets say its 16. So I set it to 16 and fire away correct? And I should have a good exposure? Can I use this same methodology and set it to higher shutter speeds? Lets say for example, an aperture of 16 and a shutter speed of 500. Would I still be getting a correct exposure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With Mamiya 7, yes. That is because Mamiya 7 uses lens shutter that synchronizes at all speeds. Be careful when you are using focal plane shutters. They only sync up to 1/60 to 1/250 depending on the model.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Marin View Post
    Hey guys a friend recently handed me down his Sunpak auto 433AF flash, however I have never used a flash before. As I understand I can set the shutter to 125 and set my flash on one of the 3 auto features giving me my aperture. In this case lets say its 16. So I set it to 16 and fire away correct? And I should have a good exposure? Can I use this same methodology and set it to higher shutter speeds? Lets say for example, an aperture of 16 and a shutter speed of 500. Would I still be getting a correct exposure?

This is correct but you have to set the film speed on the flash and to check wether the flash has sufficient power to give you correct exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The auto settings will work reasonably well, assuming a couple of things:

1) that you are within the range of distances covered by that range (e.g. your subject is between 3 and 20 feet away from the camera); and
    2) that you are in an environment with some surfaces available (floors, walls and ceilings) to reflect at least some of the light on to the subject.

Regarding number 2, if you are in something like a gymnasium with no walls or ceiling nearby, you need to experiment with your flash. Some flashes have auto exposure functions that over-expose in that environment, while others under-expose.

Have fun.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin