Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,015   Online: 685

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Would you fit a Maxwell screen on a 500C ?

Or, if I say it another way : is my 500C worth a new screen ?

I have a 500C from 1958, which works fine except for a terrific screen, which makes it difficult to focus when light is low. I'm currently wondering if I should get rid of it and buy a newer model with interchangeable screens, or get this one fitted with a Maxwell one ?

The money I'd put in the screen plus fitting it to the camera (and maybe CLA it at the same time) comes close to what my camera's worth, so the question needs to be carefully considered.

OTOH, would I buy a newer camera, I might still need to have it serviced and to make sure the screen is much better.

Hassey owners, what would you do (and why ?) ?

Cheers,
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, I really dislike the standard Hasselblad screen. If the current screen isn't working for you, I'd change it.

That's what I did when I had a 500C years ago. The Hasselblad screens for the C were more available then, and I bought one new, and put it in myself.

On the C/M I use now I'm not using the standard screen either.
    If the camera is in good working shape, I would do the change.

As for a new camera vs a CLA, pretty much any other camera you buy could be considered to need a CLA, unless it's new or specifically stated has having received a CLA.

The original screens show up occasionally on ebay, that might be a viable source vs a new Maxwell, or fitting a Kiev screen may be possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I put an Acute-Matte (newer Hasselblad) screen in my 500 c/m and it is now very nice to use. I had a Maxwell once and it was really really bright but I found it harder to focus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd opt for the Acute-Matte screen in the 500C, assuming everything else is working fine on the 500C. The cost of having this installed (putting in an Acute-Matte in a 500C is not a DIY function, as the 500C was not designed to have user-interchangeable screens) will probably not be completely recovered if/when you sell the camera, but it will make it MUCH easier to use, and it will definitely add to the resale value. I bought a 500C of similar vintage many years ago and it was my first Hasselblad. It had had this very operation done on it and it made the camera a joy to use. Unfortunately, my 500C had been quite well used by several wedding photographers before I owned it, and it was about worn out. I got rid of it when it needed a repair that cost about what the camera was worth.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin