Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,112   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are right, the 75mm on the ETRS is equiv to a 50mm on a 35mm camera. If you get a chance try the 50mm to try and it does much better for me as I tend to prefer something in the 35-40mm range with 35mm. Different perspective but seems to really do well with mf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

The 35mm aspect ratio is very rectangular (3:2 or 6:4) whereas the ETRS uses an aspect ratio that is closer to square (5:4).
    4:3, actually.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Long exposure

Can anyone explain to a newbie as to why you have a cable release for an ETRS. If you have to switch the a/t tab on the lens. I thought the idea of a cable release was so not to touch the camera during long exposures, am I missing something. I can start my exposure with a cable but not finish, confused.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You only have to move the A/T switch to T (time) for long exposures, beyond the shutter speed range of the camera. The switch is moved before exposure, and when the shutter release is pressed, the shutter will open and stay open until the A/T switch is moved back to A. To avoid any vibration affecting the shot, a lens cap can be carefully put on, or something opaque can be held over the front of the lens while moving the switch back to A.
    The range on the shutter dial goes to 8 seconds, but there is a B (bulb) setting on the ETRSi only. The only way to manually take exposures beyond 8 seconds on the older models is to use the A/T switch. The B setting on the ETRSi uses battery power the whole time the shutter is open, so Bronica recommends not using B for more than 1 minute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    You only have to move the A/T switch to T (time) for long exposures, beyond the shutter speed range of the camera. The switch is moved before exposure, and when the shutter release is pressed, the shutter will open and stay open until the A/T switch is moved back to A. To avoid any vibration affecting the shot, a lens cap can be carefully put on, or something opaque can be held over the front of the lens while moving the switch back to A.
    The range on the shutter dial goes to 8 seconds, but there is a B (bulb) setting on the ETRSi only. The only way to manually take exposures beyond 8 seconds on the older models is to use the A/T switch. The B setting on the ETRSi uses battery power the whole time the shutter is open, so Bronica recommends not using B for more than 1 minute.
    Thankyou lxdude for your kind response, so just to clarify, I switch to T then use my cable release to open shutter, place cap over lens whilst resetting tab back to A, (closes blades). Also does the ETRS use battery power for leaving the shutter open for long exposures?

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than the fully mechanical 1/500th, the ETRS has battery powered shutter speeds to 8 seconds. The A/T switch is mechanical; the battery is not used to hold open the shutter with the switch set to T. So on T, the shutter can be open as long as desired without depleting the battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bronc View Post
    Can anyone explain to a newbie as to why you have a cable release for an ETRS. If you have to switch the a/t tab on the lens.
    Only use the "a/v tab" on exposures of over 8 seconds. If you have an exposure of something like 1/4 of a second use a tripod, mirror lock up (on the ETRSi), and a cable release. How slow of a shutter speed can you use without MLU and/or a cable release? That can be controversial. See this thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd make one gear suggestion if you're taking long exposures and have a little extra cash- replace the camera body with an ETRSi. It's fairly inexpensive at KEH, and you get both bulb mode and mirror lock-up, the two things you won't find on the standard ETRS. I made this change a little while back and it's made a pretty big difference for me. Edit - I just looked at KEH and they don't have any ETRSi bodies right now except for one special edition, which carries a much heftier price tag. Keep checking with them if you're interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin