Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,556,003   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Haven't had trouibel yet. When they view it as I always 'carry on" they open it and seem amazed at all the stuff I am carrying but none have pulled out the 500mm (yet!!!) but TSA seems to grasp medium format as opposed to 35mm as I always had them look through my Nikon gear in the f64 bag. Can't keep them from touching so I don't even try I just stand there and watch and often politely answer questions. Hasselblad is a important word or is too confusing so they don't damage anything. I don't ever carry a Leica as I would be swallowing my tongue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Dr David -- and what does TSA do when they X-ray your bag? I've had to try to explain to them what a lens is, all the while hoping they don't drop the thing ("step back, sir, and don't touch!") They simply cannot comprehend what a Leica IIIa it, much less a SWC, and why I'd want to carry it with me.
    Not TSA, but a US Customs agent when I flying back from Canada. The agent was a bit cavalier about handling a lens until I said, "That is over one month's salary!" That caused an instant attitude adjustment for the agent.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr David Hall View Post
    Haven't had trouibel yet. When they view it as I always 'carry on" they open it and seem amazed at all the stuff I am carrying but none have pulled out the 500mm (yet!!!) but TSA seems to grasp medium format as opposed to 35mm as I always had them look through my Nikon gear in the f64 bag. Can't keep them from touching so I don't even try I just stand there and watch and often politely answer questions. Hasselblad is a important word or is too confusing so they don't damage anything. I don't ever carry a Leica as I would be swallowing my tongue.
    Interesting regarding TSA inspection procedures. Not long ago I traveled the east coast via air through major airports and carried a Contax G system and a Speed Graphic kit all in one backpack plus a baggie full of 35 and 4x5 film all in original boxes, including unopened boxes of Instant Fuji with an associated Polaroid back. I also carried a modified Tiltall tripod with a Arca ballhead in a separate Giottos tripod bag. The only thing TSA was interested in was the film. They didn't open anything else or take any steps to hand inspect any of the gear contained in the backpack or tripod bag, it just went through X-ray normally. They hand inspected the film at my request each time and never gave me any trouble. They were extremely co-operative and polite. I did have the film already out of the backpack and inside the clear zip lock bag. All film was removed from the zip lock and checked for explosives. They did a thorough job of examining the films but never mishandled anything. I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with TSA. However, I do recommend anyone transporting anything photographic in nature to visit the TSA website and follow the guidelines. It will potentially save you grief.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have a Billingham 335 which fits my body + 3 backs + 50/80/150 with no dramas.
    Have never had Australian airport security open my bag, I don't get film hand inspected though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    For travel, I keep my Hasselblad equipment in a couple of beater Halliburton cases. When I go out for a shoot, I take what I need in a Lowepro backpack. Although mine (model number unknown) was, I believe, designed to be used to carry a 35mm/DSLR system, it works well for carrying my Blads. I just move and adjust the padded inserts to conform to whatever I happen to be carrying. The pack - when used for 35mm excursions - is large enough to carry both 300mm F2.8 and 400mm F3.5 Nikkor telephotos as well as a host of shorter lenses, so it definitely has carrying capacity. I would suggest taking a look at Lowepro's (as well as those offered by other manufacturers) offerings; having used one for several years, I have found the backpack setup to be far easier on the shoulder(s) and posture than a shoulder bag.
    it's time to get an assistant.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    it's time to get an assistant.
    Well, I would, but photography has, for me, always been a solitary pursuit. I just prefer solitude (read: quiet) when creating - I hope - art. There is nothing worse, in my view, than the incessant racket of someone who feels compelled to chat when words are redundant. But more of an irritant, in my experience when shooting with others, is that most folks seem to require regular feeding and watering when engaged in even a modicum of physical activity. And time spent therein results in precious daylight hours lost... Besides, I spend six or so hours a week in the gym, so I have no real need for a sherpa...I am quite capable and willing to schlep my own equipment!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've recently been bitten by the Blad bug and have been using my DLSR cases, with limited success, with the Blads. I thought I could make do with my ThinkTank Retrospective 20 -- it fits two bodies with lenses and a few backs, but in practice, it's awkward to use. With two lensed bodies and multiple backs (color, BW) several filters and a prism finder, I was constantly going deep into the bag for something and then didn't have a place to put stuff as I swapped out pieces. I'm thinking a more horizontal bag would be better for the Blads. Right now I'm looking at a few of the rigid PortaBrace bags, but don't want to buy another bag that will just sit in the closet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a rather upsetting experience with TSA in SFO and 120 film.
    Film was in Kodak sealed boxes in a clear plastic bag.
    They opened the film boxes and then ripped open all the foil wrapped film w/o even asking or telling me.
    I was getting ready to shout at them, if they even looked like they were going to unwind the film.

Geez what would they have done with 4x5 sheet film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dear bill, for a very similar kit, i use a tamrac bagn from their extreme series for years; lot's of room ,easy access and excellent protection ina car, train or plane,where it easily fits into the overhead compartment or in front of your feet.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Billingham 307 to store and carry my Rollei SL66 kit (and a Hadley Pro for smaller cameras). You would need a larger model for two MF bodies, but the Billingham quality is hard to beat (expensive, however).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin