Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,227   Online: 775

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Advice with using and focussing Acutte Matte D WLF Screens on Hasselblads

Hi

Based on my new experiences of using my Blad, I am seeking some focusing screen \ WLF tips. Mine has an Acute Matte D, which I gather was an improvement over the Acutte Matt types, but are famed for being a bit tricker to focus than the old fashioned ones?

I find that if I just look down as normal into the chimney, I seem to be able to focus OK (my eyesight permitting, which needs glasses) - the shot looks nice in the viewfinder. I did notice that the view seems to "move" a little, in that the brightness\contrast\focus seems to dodge about if I move my eye around but I read http://photo.net/medium-format-photo...00U9Xb?start=0 which states that the AMD screens have a sweet spot which one needs to get used to and try to utilise every time. True or false?

More significantly, I get the view into what looks like focused, but when I pop up the little magnifyer, it isn't in focus, but then if I press my eye right up to the magnifyer to the point that my eye lashes are bent over it, I think it looks OK and I can fine tune it. Does that sound normal or should the magnified view match the higher WLF view? I read somewhere that the magnifyer can be adjusted for individual eye sight, a bit like viewfinders on the F5, but I haven't worked out how or if that can be done with mine?

Any advice\guidance?
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PS - it's the basic Acute Matte D screen, Part Number: 3042204, as listed here : http://www.hasselbladusa.com/product...cessories.aspx
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you push the magnifier in a little and the view gets clearer, it could be that the diopter is too positive for your eyes. I found this to be the case with the standard 0 diopter magnifier, and switched to a -1. The precision of focusing is mainly a matter of magnification - personally I could never focus reliably with my eye away from the WLF finder (unless scale focusing).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, interesting. I will bear that in mind. Thanks

So in your experience, if it looks pretty sharp in the WLF without the magnifyer, there was a fair chance it was in focus OK? I'll find this out myself when my film is developed and returned but that won't be for a few weeks, thus my eagerness to determine if I am doing something wrong.
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't say I've had such issues, it works fine both with the WLF an my PM90 prism. I find the magnifier to be spot on without having to push my eye hard onto it. I am slightly long sighted but both WLF/Prism have the 0 diopter and I have no issue. I know, not much help!

One thing with the WLF is to be careful not to focus then lift your head up and then shoot. Just by doing that you shifted your body and camera so focus moved which, depending on conditions, may or may not affect focusing.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    OK, interesting. I will bear that in mind. Thanks

So in your experience, if it looks pretty sharp in the WLF without the magnifyer, there was a fair chance it was in focus OK? I'll find this out myself when my film is developed and returned but that won't be for a few weeks, thus my eagerness to determine if I am doing something wrong.
    My point was more that I'm unable to reliably get accurate focus without using the magnifier, unless using the depth of field scales to "zone focus" (usually with wide angle lenses, although even then I use the magnifier to check). So my recommendation is to use the magnifier whenever possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    get an split-image finder. and all is well
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    get an split-image finder. and all is well
    +1

Just got one for my RB and it is pretty cool.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin