Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,757   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex Model Confusion

Hi APUG,

Would I be correct in assuming a Rolleiflex 2.8 with the serial number "1605660" would be a 2.8D? If it is in fact a Rolleiflex 2.8D, my understanding is that the viewfinder is not interchangeable, and putting a eye-level finder would not be possible. Also, the Rolleiflex logo would not have that "bar" below it that the E2 and later Rollei's have, yes?

With that in mind, I'm confused about a Rolleiflex I've just bought. The price was right for a 2.8D in working condition, so this inquiry is purely out of curiosity, rather than concern about my purchase. The serial number is the one listed above, the focusing knob matches that of a 2.8D (no meter), yet there is a removable eye-level finder attached, and the Rolleiflex logo has that black bar beneath it.

Not my picture: http://www.solophotography.com/ebay/rollei660.jpg

Am I missing something?
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Check out http://www.rolleigraphy.org

Yes, you have a 2.8D from 1955-56. I own a 2.8C from a couple of years earlier and it's a great little camera.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any chance that the finder was attached to a D body? And that the first 6 is actually an 8? So 180xxxxx, not 160xxxx? Looks like you might have a bit of a Frankenstein & Heidecke camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan, you've piqued my interest. Care to elaborate, if possible? How would the finder be attached to the D body? It certainly is removable, as the photo shows the camera without it.

I'm pretty certain that it is in fact a 6 but I won't have the camera to double check until next week.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a modified 2.8D, and the old serial number has been engraved on the new name plate.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool, thank you for the response. This seems to have worked out nicely for me, as the only feature from the E2 I needed is the ability to swap finders.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The base of the later finders, the part that holds the screen, is attached to the main body by 4 screws, two on each side. The location of these screws and the corresponding tapped holes could be the same as the original non-interchangeable model original to the D series. Or it could be that someone simply drilled and tapped new holes in order to attach this later part. In either case, it would have happened for just the reason you are pleased- a nice camera missing just one feature the owner wanted, and this was as good a way as any to get that feature.

JPD, do you think the serial number would have been engraved at the Rollei factory or an official repair center? Or would an independent machinist have done this? I don't know much about what kind of retrofitting services Rollei offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I previously owned a 2.8D and while I don't know the exact measurements, the screws on the camera we're discussing look like they're in the same places as those that held the waist level finder on my older one.

This is so cool. I love stuff like this.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've done a little camera surgery at times. Like this, a Minolta Autocord body and viewing lens, Yashica-Mat focus screen frame, Hasselblad chimney finder, and pre-WWII Tessar in a Compur Rapid shutter-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1806725...57627171406904

Interesting to see the removable frame attached like that. I have a Rolleiflex 2.8A Tessar that is missing the focus screen and finder- maybe a newer frame like on yours will fit. I'll look into it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin