Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,823   Online: 1079

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Both cameras could work in low light, but in different ways. The Hasselblad with a waist level finder and a neck strap is pretty steady. The Mamiya can be hand held at at 1/15 sec. pretty easily. Flash with the Mamiya 7 is manual only, there is no flash automation built in. It can, however, sync at all shutter speeds.
    I just recently picked up a Metz 54MZ-4 to use with my Mamiya. It works great on manual and auto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
    So I'm down to either getting a Hasselblad 500cm and a Mamiya 7. Both with their respective 80mm lens.
    I do quite a bit of lowlight photography so my question is.. Will the extra stop make a HUGE load of difference between these two?

My rationale is based on the fact that the mamiya is a range finder and "therefore should suffers less" with camera shake when firing the shutter.. (Does it? I know theres some technique involved but once you get the hang of it....) Would I be able to gain back that extra stop simply in the fact that I can hand hold it at lower speeds? How does the mamiya's viewfinder fare in low light? The 6x7 format is appealing but not a real dealmaker.

As for the Hasselblad.. How low can you go (shutter speed) and get printable results on 8x10ish paper?

I'm also about to endeavor into the world of flash photography.. The Mamiya's hot shoe is a big plus in that respect. How limiting are my options on the Hasselblad for flash? I don't even understand where a flash goes on the 500cm!?
    Any help on that department would also be very welcome!
    Thanks alot!
    iworked with both and would pick the mamiya anytime due totheir comprtitionless optics
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another good option for low light is Mamiya C3 series TLR. Same idea as Rolleiflex 2.8, but a lot less expensive.

I've shot a lot of wedding on Mamiya 6. I have two of them, and I always had them with different lenses on. Many people mentioned mirror vibration, but for church ceremony, indoor reception, etc., the problem is more to do with the subject's motion blur. You're more likely forced to use flash with medium format than with 35mm, where you have f/1.4 lenses available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Another good option for low light is Mamiya C3 series TLR. Same idea as Rolleiflex 2.8, but a lot less expensive.

I've shot a lot of wedding on Mamiya 6. I have two of them, and I always had them with different lenses on. Many people mentioned mirror vibration, but for church ceremony, indoor reception, etc., the problem is more to do with the subject's motion blur. You're more likely forced to use flash with medium format than with 35mm, where you have f/1.4 lenses available.
    oh yes,mamiya 6: grat camera an d similar outstanding optics, esir to fofus than hasselblad too!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also prefer the 6 to the 7, in spite of concerns about a fragile winder and so forth and the lack of the superfreakignwide lens. The other slight letdowns of the 6 are the lack of multiexposure and the 75mm lens isn't fast. But the collapsibility of the 6, and the square format make it my favourite camera of all.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Seems like a vote has been taken and Mamiya has won (despite my expectations!)!! Both systems seem quite wonderful and so I'm not completely sold on either.. I was inclined on getting the Hasselblad but now I believe my doubts will only be fully squashed once I get them both in my hands for a test-drive. Rollei seems like a good bet but like I said.. I'm looking forward to expanding this to more than the 80mm in the future. The Mamiya TLRs are nice but I've held one before and it seems a little clunky for my taste. The lens switch-a-roo isn't as straight forward.. I tend to switch lenses on the fly with my Nikon FM2n and I was looking for something that would work similarly.

If only a Mamiya had a child with a Hasselblad.. I'd get a SLR with no mirror slap that had a critical lens with buttery background, that thats was silent, had a hotshoe, both 6x7 and 6x6 formats, 2.8 lens...
    But, as it seems we can't have it all..

Thanks ALOT for all your input! Even though I'm less decided on which one to purchase.. I'm closer to getting something that will fill the bill!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 500cm and have never used the mamiya but if the mamiya had a 2.8 lens I would sell everything for it. I would be able to use one camera for everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
    If only a Mamiya had a child with a Hasselblad.. I'd get a SLR with no mirror slap that had a critical lens with buttery background, that thats was silent, had a hotshoe, both 6x7 and 6x6 formats, 2.8 lens...
    But, as it seems we can't have it all..
    You are describing the rz!!! The rz has a 110/2.8 lens that is very sweet and very nice.

Aside: I use the 110 on my rb in fact, but it only works for near focus (portrait is ok) unless you do some further modification, and there is no shutter control. All you have to do is pull two little pins to make it mount on the rb though. Very easy.

There is MLU on the rb and rz and, as for silence, well, it's not silent when the mirror slaps, but you can do that well in advance of popping the leaf shutter lens. And the lens shutters themselves are very quiet.

I am thinking that if an rb/rz had a shutter up level, so that you an avoid the kerthunk, those systems would be eerily quiet.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by postalman View Post
    I agree, it wouldn't fit on the current design. But that doesn't mean a shoe is a bad idea, it means the design is wrong

Although, to be fair to hasselblad, I'm not sure I'd want to have a flash hanging cantilevered off the side like a 6008, but it'd be great for my radio trigger. I'm just venting in frustration is all. Coldshoes are just so useful to have when you need one. (and yes, I realise the V series was invented way before radio triggers were). And my hasselblad is far too beautiful to deface by gluing a coldshoe on the side
    I have a flip-flash bracket for my Nikons, that works well with the Hasselblad, not that I need the flip part, and it puts the flash high above the lens. This easily eliminates red eye and throws shadows low, back and behind the subjects. The Hasselblad has a 45 degree PME [prism].

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by postalman View Post
    <snip>

And my hasselblad is far too beautiful to deface by gluing a coldshoe on the side
    You don't have to glue anything to the side of your Hassy; the company also made a cold shoe that slides onto the accessory rail on the left side. The item in question also pivots to allow one to position a small flash, and it's held in position with discrete click-stops.

Dieter Zakas
    Accessory, NJ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin