Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 855

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya optics are probably technically better than the Zeiss ones. They are so damned sharp it's scary. But I find I like how the Zeiss lenses draw the picture better, and they aren't exactly technically poor lenses either.

Other than that, shooting a Hasselblad is a completely different experience from shooting a Mamiya rangefinder. Completely. Different. Experience.

I would choose the Hasselblad. To me it's more versatile with exchangeable backs, number of available lenses, telephoto capability, focusing ability (especially when shooting wide open or with extension tubes), an extra stop of light on the lenses, lenses that draw in a much more interesting way, the ability to shoot using either a prism or with waist-level finder, and I loooove how it feels in my hands. That's how I feel about it.
    Others that prefer absolutely everything to be razor sharp and perfect, enjoy the rangefinder style of cameras, or mind the bulk of the Hasselblad may disagree with me profoundly.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Profoundly disagreed then!

I think ultimately it is all speculation until the OP tries both out for himself. But on that note, I realized I never, ever, have used my M7II for people pictures or street work. Time to play this weekend! 1 roll of Neopan 400 120 left....
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Profoundly disagreed then!
    You certainly are entitled to that, which is lucky, or I would be forced to knock some sense into you... hahaha

Have fun shooting that last roll!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I were habitually shooting people with the 7ii/7/6/6mf in a "portraity" way (for lack of a better term), I might perhaps be inclined to adjust development for lower contrast. But for a scenic / documentary / ethnographic context, the mamiya RF lenses just rock. No question about it.

I also find that by using the timer, I can get acceptable handheld captures way down to, I dunno, 1/8 and beyond. Same with any camera, really, although the heavier ones will obviously have more inertia. [Invariably, someone jumps up and wields the term "critical sharpness" when I say that, and my response is usually: well duh, you don't shoot 1/8 handheld unless you need to or want to, in which case critical sharpness is a secondary concern. But I have gotten very nice sharp negs at 1/8 and slower. Finger impulse is far more important than most people realize.]
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KarnyDoc View Post
    You don't have to glue anything to the side of your Hassy; the company also made a cold shoe that slides onto the accessory rail on the left side. The item in question also pivots to allow one to position a small flash, and it's held in position with discrete click-stops.

Dieter Zakas
    Accessory, NJ
    Dieter,
    I'm glad you finally pointed this out. They also had a coldshoe that clips onto the square lens hoods.
    These are useless for a heavy flash but perfect for radio triggers.

Some of the later metered prisms have shoes but and I believe some may even be hot but these models are way to modern for my experience so far.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Dieter,
    I'm glad you finally pointed this out. They also had a coldshoe that clips onto the square lens hoods.
    These are useless for a heavy flash but perfect for radio triggers.

Some of the later metered prisms have shoes but and I believe some may even be hot but these models are way to modern for my experience so far.
    They also had a nifty bubble level that would mount there. Really a nicely evolved system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KarnyDoc View Post
    You don't have to glue anything to the side of your Hassy; the company also made a cold shoe that slides onto the accessory rail on the left side. The item in question also pivots to allow one to position a small flash, and it's held in position with discrete click-stops.

Dieter Zakas
    Accessory, NJ
    Hah! I've had the slide-on cold shoe for years, and use it all the time for my radio popper, but I never knew it pivoted! Thanks, Dieter!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own a 503CX, but I've long wanted a Mamiya 7. All the technical aspects aside, these two cameras take VERY different looking pictures, as has been mentioned. For me, that's usually what it comes down to after considering two systems that have equal pros and cons (as I found with the Hasselblad and Mamiya.) I find the portraits from the Mamiyas 80mm to be quite stunning, but definitely more clinical, sharper, and perhaps harsher. Which rendering do you prefer?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    They also had a nifty bubble level that would mount there. Really a nicely evolved system.
    I have both the cold shoe and the spirit bubble level. The latter was, IIRC, the first Hassy accessory I bought after I got my 500C/M that wasn't directly connected to the capture, such as a back would be.

Now, if only I could replace my Hassy so as to give those accessories and others a sense of purpose to their existence...

Dieter Zakas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the mamiya to be true to life and bitingly sharp, whereas the blad seems more dreamy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin