Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,943   Online: 960

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Rapid Omega flash suggestions?

I use a Koni Rapid Omega 100. I have been using a Vivitar 283 flash with it, but I would like to find a better solution. In particular, I would like more power and a more solid mounting scheme. I have always felt uneasy with hot-shoe mounting the 283 as it seems like it is about to snap off at the shoe. The all metal hot shoe replacements sort of illustrates that others have broken flash shoes.

I borrowed a Metz 45 CT-1 to try, but soon discovered a fault with using this flash on this camera. The “some love it, some hate it” hand grip of the Koni makes my arm bonk into the flash mounting bracket when the flash is on the left (while looking thru the camera). Whoa – just flip the bracket around & mount it on the other side! Two screws and… dang, it interferes with the yank&shove film advance. Can’t do it on the right.

I assume there must be some ol’ dyed-in-the-wool wedding photographers who lugged a Koni all over, with suggestions for an on-camera flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You missed your chance at Halloween to flip the mounting plate over to mount the flash below the camera.

I've never used a Koni Omega, but I've had similar problems with other cameras. So far, I haven't found a perfect solution. I did find a now-discontinued model of a Stroboframe MF flip-flash bracket that comes close, but still not perfect. You might consider making (or having a machinist make) a different, potentially offset base plate that would better fit your Koni Omega, and then mount the little adapter block from the Metz 45 onto that plate.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Good Evening, Rexp,

Koni supplied a custom mounting bracket for the K-O cameras. It's heavy metal and locks securely onto the right-hand side of the camera in front of the focusing knob. A clip-type device was usually included and this made it possible to attach a potato-masher flash unit.

I used the mounting bracket and some 1/4" strap aluminum for a home-made bracket which holds a 285-type flash well above the lens. I can't flip it for vertical shots, but with the 6 x 7 negative, I've been able to get by with just cropping out a vertical section when printing. I keep thinking that I should replace my bracket with a more elegant arrangement, but inertia has so far prevented that.

Konical

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin