Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,377   Online: 824

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashicamat 124G lens marks -- what is this?

Hello all,

I bought a Yashicamat 124G, and was examining it. When looking through the taking lens on bulb, a prominent streak is seen.

1 o'clock:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	44728

From the back; 11 o'clock:

Name:	B.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	44729

A closer look. 1 o'clock on both.

Name:	C.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	44730

Name:	D.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	44731

Is this fungus? When viewed from the back, it is behind and close to the rear element.

I gather that it is relatively simple to open this lens up, but I don't own a wrench spanner, and do not want to tamper with it unless I decide to keep it.

Any idea or comments would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does look like it could be fungus. I've never attempted to try to remove fungus before but you could try to call Mark Hama, he does a great job repairing Yashicas, especially TLRs since he used to build them in Japan. It's easier to speak to him over the phone than e-mailing him. You can get his phone number at www.markhama.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about cement but fungus also attacks coatings, such as multi-coating. I hear they are yummy.

To me, it looks like combination of dust, oil residues, fungus, and multitude of contamination. It definitely needs cleaning. To me, the fungus part does not look bad. On photo 3, there is a big thick streak at 1 o'clock. That one is definitely fungus.

I've taken lenses apart and cleaned them myself. Depending on how much you paid for the camera, you may or may not try this yourself.

If you have a chance to return it, I would. 124Gs are available fairly reasonably these days. Professional cleaning will likely run you decent amount of money.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A guide to removing and cleaning the lenses on a 124... for people who believe in real tools, take a deep breathe before clicking on this link and seeing how the guy made a spanner wrench (nails, board, dremel.... it ain't pretty!)-
    http://www.usedcameradb.com/blog/200...4-taking-lens/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the comments and wealth of information, folks. Much appreciated.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had very similar marks on my 124G - the shutter is noted for throwing off oil over time. So don't necessarily jump to fungus although it does look like that to me; however a good repair shop should be able to clean it properly. It was about $60 for my repair guy to work it over but I haven't had an issue since.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin