Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,543   Online: 1066

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just so we are all on the same page, my take on it is that in your pictures "EXTENDED" and "FULLY CLOSED" it is showing the movement of the standard thread that allows twisting of the lens, not the helicoid. You have to put the helicoid inner and outer pieces together with that standard thread somewhere between "EXTENDED" and "FULLY CLOSED." The helicoid threads will fit together in a number of different places and only one is correct.

One way to tell which is the helicoid is to follow a groove all the way around. You will see that it will look like you are skipping some of the threads as you progress because there are multiple parallel separate grooves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	44898
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-22-2012 at 01:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I haven't responded yet because I want to reply with something substantial. Sorry for the delay!

Thank you to everyone for the help! And Thank you very much Ian for your detailed instructions. I'll reply later tonight or tomorrow with progress.

In a nutshell, I'm still having the focusing issue, but.. as I stare at more and more photos of other 40/4 "C" lenses, I'm feeling stronger and stronger that I have 40mm glass, but have the 50mm "C" shutter assembly. Take a look on eBay or search google to have a look at the lenses and barrels for yourself. I think you'll see the same thing.. That'd explain a lot. But that would also be really sad, because I have no idea where I'd find a working 40mm shutter without the glass for any reasonable amount of money..

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to attempt to focus with the lens as is.

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted soon.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In case you haven't deduced from my post #21, the lens elements behind the shutter (the chrome section) would also be from a 50mm lens. So, you have lens elements from both 40mm and 50mm lenses.

Where did you buy this $400 "bargain"? If you don't end up selling it for parts, you could probably use it as a Holgablad lens.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I've been chatting with the fella that sold me the lens. He bought a bunch of hassy gear on the cheap from an estate sale and tried to flip it for more money, as anyone would (though I'd probably have kept the coolest of the toys for myself..). He told me he's going to extensively dig through all of the stuff he purchased in search of the correct lens body/shutter assembly. We'll see how that goes..

Also, I've got horrible, terrible, downright no good, massive exams on Monday and Wednesday of next week.. so I'm taking a hiatus from messing with this lens/situation until after the exams. Hopefully by then the guy who sold this frankenblad to me will have helped sort things out.

Thank you again to all of you wonderfully helpful people!! I will keep you posted as I find out more.
    Last edited by polymerase; 01-23-2012 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the terribly delayed response!! Conveniently, a day after I made that last post, my computer shorted and completely fried, and I've only just recently acquired a laptop to replace it. I'd've replied sooner, but I honestly forgot what this forum was called (and my computer access was as limited as my schedule to do anything buy study..).

I figured I'd update this thread for closure, in case anyone was curious.

Long story short, I contacted a few of the remaining "hasselblad repair guys" and sent some photos while we chatted. Like you folks, they were all fantastic people and were willing to help. At the end of our chats, we all came to the conclusion that my lens was a Frankenstein mashup of 40mm glass and a 50mm body/shutter assembly.

Luckily, I was able to return the lens to the seller (who then sold it for $100 less), and bought a working lens in much better condition (for $200 more..). The moral of the story is that "if it's too good to be true, it probably is." But that won't stop me from hunting deals in the future. It was a good learning experience, albeit somewhat frustrating and very time consuming..

I absolutely love the lens though. It's on my hassy at all times.

Thanks again for all of your help!! I appreciate that the folks smart enough to shoot film are the same folks kind enough to share wisdom. Good luck on safari!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My advice would be for you to put the lens back together as best you can and return it to the guy you bought it from and get your $400 back, because it sounds to me like it's a "cut and shut" http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionar...y/cut-and-shut that's never going to be any good.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-16-2012 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin