Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,383   Online: 724

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    That is a nice generalization. However, to illustrate the amount of error, I just measured at the back of my house in bright sunlight and while Sunny 16 held true (ISO 100, 1/100 f/16) in the sun; at the front of my house and in the shade shielded by the house, I measured between -4.4EV and -5.7EV difference in light depending upon exactly where I took the reading of the gray card...f/5.6 would have been wrong. Sunny 16 derivative says -4EV for open shade (f/4), but even that would be in error compared to what I measured.
    So shooting trannies I might have a problem but my negatives are very reliable at those settings.

Actually the numbers I put up are typical of actual incident meter reading in those situations.

I actually go to f4 for fully back lit subjects.

There is also a fair dose of bias applied in any exposure decision.

My big point is simply that with a bit of practice and judgement good exposures can be made quickly in full manual.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This one is surprisingly accurate and free. http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/exposurecalc.html
    That, Sunny 16, and a Sekonic spot meter is my metering arsenal. Which one I use depends on the mood I'm in when I head out the door.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin